Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
Ive just attempted a replacement of a cam belt , water pump and all idlers tensioners on a 20,lt DOHC 1996 4G63 rvr without any manual ?? ( errr) , i also replaced balancer shaft belt and tensioner.
I was a bit stumped with the cam belt tensioner ? ive guessed you pretension the belt with the concentric idler /tension wheel , tighten its bolt ,then remove the pin on the tensioner ??? i couldnt quite figure how or why the 2 tensions ?
My problem is after what i thought was a carefull job i have vibration i didnt have before ? im pretty sure i aligned all marks and wheels correctly ?
It may be when i removed the engine mount and let engine down a bit it may have messed up other engine mounts ??
apart from that it goes better than ever , just vibrates more ??
Has anyone correct details for doing cambelt job and how to tension belt correctly , also balancer shaft details .

worried i will have to do it all again , cheers
Richy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok sussed it , but i could not get the cam wheel timming marks to align across the horizotal, its impossibe unless the belt stretches ? anyhow, cars running sweet , loads power with no vibration so must be ok ?
still a mystery how the correct belt tension is acheived with the two adjustments ?? this was a guess unfortunately , time will tell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for everyones help , this forum has been fantastic ..............NOT , ffs doesnt anyone look under there own bonnets anymore ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi RichyRock,

Sad that you did not get much help. Here is a site that i used to change mine. Is from Laser and Talon cars with the same engine. Lots of very useful info on the site including pictures. Enjoy

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

By the way do you have easy access to new parts like clutch plate and cylinder, i need them badly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Andrew, we can get most of the service items here in NZ, if you give me a list of what you need, along with all your vehicle info, ie year engine and chassis numbers, I could ring around and tell you what is avaiable and at what price, the shipping would be quite expensive I would imagine, but I can get an estimate for you.
Cheers Gerry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you Andrewrvr , what a fantastic web link , appreciate it lots

Would you know how a 1996 rvr 4 wheel drive selection works ??? my wife recently left it on and somehow it flattened the battery overnight ?? so im guessing it must be electrically activated somehow ??
how does it work ???

cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
Richy,

I am glad that you figured out how to set the balance shafts in phase. But I also hope that you set proper tension on the belt, which is even more challenging!

I am not sure that I understand your 4 wheel drive selection question. You actually have an option?

In the states, we only have the regular AWD on our LRVs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

Well im not totally confident i did do the tensioner correctly unfortunately , but its been ok for last 6 months and some long hard drives , Fingers crossed.
Its a shame the japanese cannot engineer simplicity , everything on this RVR is a right bloody pain to work on .
The reason i ask about the transmission is i have a centre consul switch for a A/T mode ? im guessing this is "All Terrain" ??
when this is on a "HOLD" lamp lights on dashboard ??
Now i havent a clue how this works , i have tried jacking each end up on the vehicle to see which wheels are driving etc .
I can only work out that the 96 RVR is AWD and somehow drive is split between front and rear something like 70% to front and 30% to rear abd the A/T mode switch just selects a very low ratio ???
can you confirm ??

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Im not so sure what do you mean by A/T mode. When you put it on hold, can you describe the lamp light symbol appeared in the dash.

I think you are referring to O/D or overdrive mode. If not, I think this is for POWER and ECONO settings.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richyrock @ Dec 2 2008, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi

Well im not totally confident i did do the tensioner correctly unfortunately , but its been ok for last 6 months and some long hard drives , Fingers crossed.
Its a shame the japanese cannot engineer simplicity , everything on this RVR is a right bloody pain to work on .
The reason i ask about the transmission is i have a centre consul switch for a A/T mode ? im guessing this is "All Terrain" ??
when this is on a "HOLD" lamp lights on dashboard ??
Now i havent a clue how this works , i have tried jacking each end up on the vehicle to see which wheels are driving etc .
I can only work out that the 96 RVR is AWD and somehow drive is split between front and rear something like 70% to front and 30% to rear abd the A/T mode switch just selects a very low ratio ???
can you confirm ??

Cheers[/b]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well there is a switch on the centre pod , (by the auto gearstick) labelled A/T mode . when you turn this on a "HOLD" lamp lights by the tacho on the dash .
The vehicle is a 1996 RVR sportshatch .
I can only guess this lowers the ratio somehow , as there is a seperate button on the gear stick for OVERDRIVE .
Also i cant work out if its permanent 4 wheel drive ?? it seems that it is .
All i got with the vehicle is a japanese manual .

·
Registered
135 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richyrock @ Dec 6 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well there is a switch on the centre pod , (by the auto gearstick) labelled A/T mode . when you turn this on a "HOLD" lamp lights by the tacho on the dash .
The vehicle is a 1996 RVR sportshatch .
I can only guess this lowers the ratio somehow , as there is a seperate button on the gear stick for OVERDRIVE .
Also i cant work out if its permanent 4 wheel drive ?? it seems that it is .
All i got with the vehicle is a japanese manual .[/b]
Check my post on the other thread you have on this topic ;). I tell you how to check for permament 4 wheel drive (4x4).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts