Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months back I bought a 1994 RVR Turbo. After I had it for a few weeks I noticed that a white deposit was building up on the the battery terminals and electrolyte was seeping from the cell filler caps. As I was unsure how old the battery was replaced it.

Now several months after replacing battery the same problem has happened yet again. Could this problem be linked to a faulty alternator either overcharging or undercharging battery. Would be grateful for any help in this matter as the escaping electrolyte is starting to damage the underside of the bonnet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It sounds as though your alternator is overcharging the battery, get it measured, perhaps something similar to what I found with mine has occured?? viz : --
I bought a 95 RVR TD earlier this year. The brightness of the backlight on the compass etc pulsed.
Measured the battery volts, this was pulsing up & down & was very high.
Took the car into a local Auto Electrician, amd he replaced the rectifier/regulator in the alternator. Things still were'nt right, so I took it back & he concluded that the one fitted was the wrong type (must have been replaced by the previous owner), and he could'nt get the right one/bits through his usual sources. So I got a s/h one from eBay, he fitted new bearings/brushes to that and it has been fine.

So it appears the RVR has an "unusual" type?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Zebedde

Appreciate the info. My brother is using the car at the moment. Will let you know the story as soon as I get it checked out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Finally overcame RVR battery problem by replacing original battery with a dry cell one.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The chemistry of a wet plate battery & a gel type is virtually the same, so if you have not measured the volts across the battery whilst charging to check it out, then you could still have problems with a gel one??

·
Registered
43 Posts
charging voltage on any 12volt system vehicle should not exceed 14volts on revs and not go below 12.5 on idle. If the alternator is overcharging, It will damage the battery whether its wet or gel type.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts