Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Sorry just to wander onto the forum asking for advice and giving nothing back but I'm kind of stuck.

Mitsubishis arn't really my thing - its Alfa's that I generally work on, so I don't know a great deal about them.

I've been roped into replacing an engine in an M reg RVR after the 1st engine died. I think the bottom end may have failed after a cam belt snap but as I never heard it running I don't know.

Anyway, my mate, Adam, sourced a new engine from a breaker which I have installed using the turbo, fuel pump and gearbox off the original engine. I also replace the cam belt, balance belt and tensioners. I was able to find the cambelt replacement proceedure from an Autodate manual so I don't think its a timing issue.

After many weeks working evenings off and on (Adam's away working for 3 weeks at a time) the engine is back in and all hooked up. As I wasn't there when Adam stripped the majority of the top end off I can only say I THINK all of the fuel lines and vaccuum hoses are back in the right place.

Top and bottom of it is, the engine turns over but there is absolutely no sign of life.

I think its a fueling problem but I can't be sure. There is fuel at the pump but there is no pressure in the fuel rail to the injectors.

I disconnected the feed to one of the injectors and cranked it over. There is no pressure there, just a small dribble of fuel.

Anyone got any ideas? Please?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh its a auto as well BTW.....

Bloody thing. Turbo charged, 4wd and its an auto. How complicated did they want to make it?

To make things worse, whilst I'm pretty handy with NA petrol motors, I know FA about turbos, autos and diesels.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't know if I can help much as I work mainly on petrols as well. One suggestion I have is possibly the selenoid is stuck or not activated that controls the fuel to the fuel rail from the injector pump. Diesels as you know do not have ignition systems so they are controlled by this selenoid. I beleive they are in a fail safe mode so you must have a voltage applied to actiavte.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think its that. I think its because we used the mechanical fuel pump off the original engine and not the new engine. I think the fuel timing is off for some reason.

Thanks for your input though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts