Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1830cc 1993 rvr,never had any problems,been great,till thermostat stuck and now have a leak which i think is coming from water pump,as the pump is connected to cam belt,i need to know how to remove and replace,as out here one do'es not trust the local labour,they tend to rob bits and tell you it needed this and that when it did'nt,if any one has manual would be grate full to know,may be they could e-mail me copy of page

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Your talking about a pretty big job so I would make double sure where the leak is coming from. You can replace a thermostat without removing the pump but if you need to remove the pump you might as well do the cam belt and all other associated components (ie tensioner, idle bearing, oil seals, etc) as it all has to come off.

I would firstly remove the plastic cam cover and check for your coolent leaks, re-tighnen the water pump bolts and drain & flush coolant replacing with a good 50/50 mix of antifreeze. The new antifreeze will raise your boiling point as well which will help with your over pressure. It is also a good idea to change your radiator cap as this should relieve any high pressure.

Thermostat sticking is a sign of high corrosion which should be flushed clean and replaced with the antifreeze as described. I also add some corrosion inhibitor to the antifreeze every couple of years to make sure its up to scratch. Cheap insurance IMO.

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou jim for the advice given,the thermostat had never been changed in five years,when i did take it out,there was not much muck on it so i cleaned it and did a test in a saucepan of water,of which started to bubble before it opened,so that was faulty,i have allways put in an inhinbitor to keep rad clean etc ,as i had a new one fitted two years ago when i had a prang,are there any marks on cam that i have to look for,
kind regards steve

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sorry I haven't done one in the RVR so can't really help. I'm sure there are marks on the cam but I generally mark the belt, cams and crank with a permanent marker before I remove and install back in the same position.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts