Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the limit of my troubleshooting skills and need some guidance. 2007 Endeavor, 185k miles, 90k since we bought it. It's my wife's daily driver.

Valve covers have been leaking, and I've been ignoring the problem like it would go away on its own.... My wife's been having to add oil every now and then. The other day the car starts misfiring cylinder 4 (P0304). My wife tells me she added FIVE QUARTS of oil about a week prior!!! Wow. Level on the dipstick was way over full.

So I drain the oil and refill to proper level. Swap the ignition coil from cylinder 4 with cylinder 2. Code changes to P0302. Great, bad coil.

Local junkyard had a coil with 60k miles on it for cheap. I buy it, put it in cylinder 4. Car runs good. But now I'm in the mood to fix stuff so off come the valve covers. New spark plugs, valve covers and PCV valve. Car runs REALLY good. No more oil leaks.

Next day my wife drives it to work no problem. On the way home it starts misfiring again. Cylinder 4. I swap it with 2 and the code moves again. This would seem consistent with a bad coil.

So. Did my roll of the dice with a junkyard coil burn me? Or is something going on with the ignition system that I'm burning out coils? I really don't want to buy a brand new coil only to have it burn out the next day. Any chance overfilling the oil (by a lot) could have contributed somehow? Any thoughts on what might be going on are appreciated! Looks like we're swapping cars tomorrow...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Latest update. This morning I noticed fuel leaking from the rail side of the number 4 injector. I'm pretty confident it wasn't doing this after the ignition coil change, because I was inspecting real good for oil leaks after changing the valve cover gaskets. I would have seen or smelled it.

I'm going to change out the o-ring tonight. I guess that could somehow be related to the coil going bad but I'm not sure how.

I'm still reluctant to stick a new coil in. Afraid it will just burn out again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Latest update. This morning I noticed fuel leaking from the rail side of the number 4 injector. I'm pretty confident it wasn't doing this after the ignition coil change, because I was inspecting real good for oil leaks after changing the valve cover gaskets. I would have seen or smelled it.

I'm going to change out the o-ring tonight. I guess that could somehow be related to the coil going bad but I'm not sure how.

I'm still reluctant to stick a new coil in. Afraid it will just burn out again.
Bad injector

·
Registered
5 Posts
Between 140K and 175K I had single injectors go bad twice. They're not cheap, but it's probably going to be worthwhile to change them all out (with new, not used) and be done with the problem, which always seems to come up at the most inopportune time it can.

It's the only significant problem I've had with my 04 that's now at 235K. Knock wood!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts