Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm having several different symptoms with my 2014 Lancer Limited Edition (4B11 engine, I believe). If I'm accelerating slowly and then give the gas a good shot, I can hear a "whoop" coming from under the hood, which I would guess is belt slippage. Aside from that my acceleration is poor, my power steering seems slightly stiff, and my AC compressor will cut in and out (audible "click" noise) when I'm parked and at low idle. The AC might be cutting in and out when I'm driving at higher RPMs too, but I can't really hear it to find out. The AC itself puts off good, cold air, but I imagine the cutting in and out must be hard on the compressor.

All of this would seem to point to a bad serpentine belt and/or tensioner, as the AC, power steering pump, and crankshaft pulley all run off this belt. Do you guys think it would be a safe bet to just order the belt/tensioner and change it out or am I taking a leap of faith here?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
241 Posts
The a/c compressor is designed to cut in and out at idle. So no concerns there.

As for the noise.. it is likely you have a tensioner partially seized. Here in Australia there was a recall to check the tensioner and pulleys and replace the belt. After that there was another recall to check the tensioner again and replace it.

Im not sure if that applies to Canada, might be worth contacting a dealer. If its not covered then replace the tensioner and fit a new belt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The a/c compressor is designed to cut in and out at idle. So no concerns there.

As for the noise.. it is likely you have a tensioner partially seized. Here in Australia there was a recall to check the tensioner and pulleys and replace the belt. After that there was another recall to check the tensioner again and replace it.

Im not sure if that applies to Canada, might be worth contacting a dealer. If its not covered then replace the tensioner and fit a new belt
Thanks for the reply! That's reassuring about the AC compressor. Just to clarify though, when I say clicking in and out, I mean about every 3-4 seconds. Is that a normal frequency?

Also it's interesting you mentioned the recall because I was just on the phone with a dealership to get a price for the tensioner/belt and the guy mentioned a recall. I didn't have my VIN # handy though so he couldn't confirm for sure and I've been yet to call him back. I'll give them a call monday and see what the story is there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts