Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I have Space Wagon 98.

It's been in the family for years and now I use it to commute from Kent to East London.

At 83,000 it had a pamper life wanted for nothing until I got... ;)

It's now done 104,000 mile and the commute is roughly 350 miles a week.

It's just scraped through the Mot and I am looking for some advice on servicing it...and keeping it running...

So..

How often should I change the Oil

And what oil should I use...

How often should I change the Air Filter

How often should I change the Fuel Filter

How often should I change the Spark Plugs...

Anything else I should change regular ?

Also how hard is it to change the fuel filter on these car.

Any advice would be great...

Ian....

G

·
Originally posted by ISE438@Feb 14 2008, 08:59 PM
Hello...

I have Space Wagon 98.

It's been in the family for years and now I use it to commute from Kent to East London.

At 83,000 it had a pamper life wanted for nothing until I got... ;)

It's now done 104,000 mile and the commute is roughly 350 miles a week.

It's just scraped through the Mot and I am looking for some advice on servicing it...and keeping it running...

So..

How often should I change the Oil

And what oil should I use...

How often should I change the Air Filter

How often should I change the Fuel Filter

How often should I change the Spark Plugs...

Also how hard is it to change the fuel filter on these car.

Any advice would be great...

Ian....
[snapback]142301[/snapback]​

Here's some suggested guide:

How often should I change the Oil?
You should change every 5000miles/ 8000 KM regularly.

What oil should I use?
You should use fully synthetic (helps the valves). If you are using MLO (Mineral lube oil) Non synthetic, you should change to semi synthetic. If you are currently using semi synthetic, then change to fully synthetic.

How often should I change the Air Filter?
You should change every car routine service (If you can afford it) or you can change once for every 2 routine service. Air filters are very important to filter any impurities in the air.

How often should I change the Fuel Filter?
This depends, you might want to check the normal fuel supply pressure against the differential pressure across the lines. but frankly, i havent change mine yet (2 years). if its still running OK, dont change - saves a few penny.

How often should I change the Spark Plugs?
It takes a good observation to look at any defects on the spark plugs. Any broad deposits on the plugs etc. This again depends on the condition of the spark plugs. Ideally change twice annualy (if you can afford) or annualy.

1. Do service your radiator - flush & change water/ liquid/ coolant. DO NOT USE tap water. Use only clean water to avoid any impurities. Tap water is bad for the radiator, cause it will do damage on the ability / performance of your radiator (Block).

2. Wiper blade should be change when its not performing as desired. Its a safety concern on your visibility especially driving at night when it rains.

3. Battery should be change every 2 years. Commontly the battery life span ranges from 1 1/2 years to 2 years or if you're lucky it could go up to 3 years...To be safe spend a bit of money & effort to change. You would't want to have your car dead someplace where you dont wanna be.

4. When you chnage yor lube oil, make sure you change your lube oil filter also...very important.

5. Other than that, i guess all has been spelt out.

This is only suggested routine maintenance...then again...all depends on how you want to have your car good for yourself.

Cheers & good day...Dont drink & drive, Eyes on the road & drive safely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
due to the oils used now days you only need to change the oil yearly, on a 1992 its semi-synthetic, also changing oil filter.
unless the car is used to engine flushes don't use any with a high millage as some sludge can actually be protecting the worn parts.
fuel filters are long life ie 5years unless power and stalling problems.
spark plugs can be change at any time but check every 6 months for damage.
air filter every year or in bad dusty weather/conditions 6 months.
clean pcv valve with carb/jet cleaner every 6months/yearly.
in the uk only a yearly service is normally required.
a good battery should last a good few years if kept topped up and given a fast charge every now and the to clean of the plates.
also a good run ie 2500rpm is good for helping to keep the cat clean.
you can use tap water in the coolant but if you live in a hard water area then it can be best to use distilled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts