Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first visit to this forum and would appreciate any help going.
I drive a 2003 Shogun 3.2 diesel short wheel base van (work series).
The problem which is causing me some concern is that the near-side rear drive shaft was found to be partially disengaged from the diff and leaking oil. It pushed back into position but I am not convinced that the retaining circlip is effective.

Has anyone come across this fault before and what are the likely consequences of this other than loss of oil. Is it likely that some component has come adrift in the differential box and what further damage can be expected?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a 2003 Shogun feld which a routine service disclosed the same problem in that the drive shaft had disengaged due the retaining clip "weakening". I am told this repair is temporary and that a companion driveshaft will need to be fitted to cure the problem. Otherwise, it will reoccur and a new diff will be the outcome. I consider this to be a modification as my research has shown this not to be an isolated incident.

Mitsubishi is offering half but I am pushing this as I feel it is a design fault and they should pay. Any other sufferers should unite.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You could fit a recon c.v. joint (non mitsu). The joints from shaftec are guaranteed for 24000 miles. Personally I would fit a new retaining clip and oil seal, and just keep an eye on it. The shaft cant fall out of the diff without the bottom/top ball joint being separated.
It can only be a manufacturing (tolerance) fault that is causing it so pursuing claim may be worthwhile, but I wouldnt hold my breath!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just taken a Shogun LWB back to the Dealer (under Warranty) for a leak under the middle of the vehicle. Just heard that it requires a new companion shaft and is currently undriveable!

Probably worth your while getting the problem checked out.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I was interested to read of your problem on the Shogun Field. I also have a 2003 field LWB first registered at Badminton Horse trials. A few months after the cars warranty expired, I had issues with the rear suspension (bushels worn) which resulted in a 2k bill. Complained to Colt Cars who provided small compensation on parts cost as this should not have happened on a relatively new car. 18 months later, and the car needs a new clutch, fly wheel damaged due to clutch heating and also Rear Div broken away completely and oil drained away. This leaves me with a 5k bill for three major component areas on a car which is not yet 5 years old and is sold on durability? I do not tow or offroad with the vehicle therefore very surprised the sort of faults and issues being experienced. Colt Cars will not compensate for the clutch and reviewing Rear Diff issue. I really believe there is a design fault in the Field as my colleagues who drive the traditional Elegance model do not seem to experience any of the problems I have had. I would appreciate if any others have had similar issues as I'm going back to Mitsubushi to query - the cost of ownership is just too much - I can't believe this level of issues being seen in a heady duty vehicle. I read too much of the marketing messages around the car - I now know it is a false economy and I would have been better buying Land Rover or a trusted 4x4 brand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
this is a quite common fault it is a fault on the companion shaft retaining clip, a modified companion shaft is a vailable from mitsubishi which has a larger diameter clip, once this is fitted there are no further issues

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have had the rear passenger side drive shaft partually move out of the differential. My vehicle is a 2005 model and my dealer has quoted almost £500 to fit the modified (later design) drive flanges which he says will cure the problem. I fully support the need to get together and 'pressurise' Mitsubishi into a recall

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too have had this problem on my 2004 3.2 DID LWB Montero on the rear passenger side. Mechanic confirmed that shaft was pushed back in a retaining circlip refitted.
Brian West

·
Registered
149 Posts
Got home tonight and discovered a dreaded oil leak. Looked under the truck and found that one of the rear 1/2 axles slipped out of the diff. I did go off road today, but it wasnt really that bad. Im hoping that I have no damage due to the fact that I caught it early. The axle is about 1/2" out of of the diff.
Tomorrow, I plan to remove the half shaft and try to remove the flange and inspect the circlip etc. I pray that nothing is ground up or broken inside. I hope its just replacing a circlip (after all, how did the axle come out in the first place?) and relubing everything and putting it back together.

Why do you need a new companion shaft if the circlip is the problem?

I upload some pics and stuff of what I find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As per my earlier post in this thread, I had this problem last year. Research shows that Mitsubishi have made availeable slightly larger diameter circlips which, in the UK cost approx 3UK pounds each. Most Mitsubishi garages are insisting that complete half shafts and retaining circlips are fitted at a cost of about 120 UK pounds each side. If the half shafts are undamaged this should not be nessessary as it is only the circlips that have been uprated. Given the number of occurances reported, I am amazed this is not a warranty recall.
Brian West

·
Registered
149 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ragpicker @ Mar 18 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As per my earlier post in this thread, I had this problem last year. Research shows that Mitsubishi have made availeable slightly larger diameter circlips which, in the UK cost approx 3UK pounds each. Most Mitsubishi garages are insisting that complete half shafts and retaining circlips are fitted at a cost of about 120 UK pounds each side. If the half shafts are undamaged this should not be nessessary as it is only the circlips that have been uprated. Given the number of occurances reported, I am amazed this is not a warranty recall.
Brian West[/b]
Brian, thanks for confirming my suspicions. No one Ive asked has been able to tell me what is different about the upgraded half shafts. What you are saying makes sense. Afterall, the half shaft has to fit the same bore. The only thing that can change is the circlip diameter, thickness or profile (round or square) and the groove. I checked circlip manufacturers and cant find a thicker circlip. I called the dealer and they "cant find" the circlip.

If anyone has the circlip PN, please post. Id like to order it from Mitsubishi. Heck, Ill even order from UK if I have to...

Btw, Here are the measurements I took of the half shaft and circlip:

170mm flange
35.8mm shaft dia at the splines
34.8mm shaft dia below the splines
1.98mm wire retainer ring diameter (round cross section)
~36.5mm retainer ring circumference

I cant figure out how to upload pics to this site so here is a link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/oside4/Montero...780638334937826

·
Registered
14 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tj90 @ Mar 19 2009, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Brian, thanks for confirming my suspicions. No one Ive asked has been able to tell me what is different about the upgraded half shafts. What you are saying makes sense. Afterall, the half shaft has to fit the same bore. The only thing that can change is the circlip diameter, thickness or profile (round or square) and the groove. I checked circlip manufacturers and cant find a thicker circlip. I called the dealer and they "cant find" the circlip.

If anyone has the circlip PN, please post. Id like to order it from Mitsubishi. Heck, Ill even order from UK if I have to...

Btw, Here are the measurements I took of the half shaft and circlip:

170mm flange
35.8mm shaft dia at the splines
34.8mm shaft dia below the splines
1.98mm wire retainer ring diameter (round cross section)
~36.5mm retainer ring circumference

I cant figure out how to upload pics to this site so here is a link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/oside4/Montero...780638334937826[/b]
I have these revised circlips awaiting to be fitted at my home in Spain. Currently on vacation in Huntington Beach but if you still need info, will let you have part numbers etc, when I return to Spain after 2nd April.
Brian

·
Registered
149 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ragpicker @ Mar 20 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have these revised circlips awaiting to be fitted at my home in Spain. Currently on vacation in Huntington Beach but if you still need info, will let you have part numbers etc, when I return to Spain after 2nd April.
Brian[/b]
Brian: Thanks. If you remember to post the PNs please do so on your return home. If it easy, it would be handy to get dimensional values (thickness, diameter, etc) if you can as well.

In the meantime, Ill call some of the internet Mitsu part dealers and see if anyone can get the clip.

Enjoy your visit to HB, Im ~40 mi down the coast from you in Oceanside.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tj90 @ Mar 20 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Brian: Thanks. If you remember to post the PNs please do so on your return home. If it easy, it would be handy to get dimensional values (thickness, diameter, etc) if you can as well.

In the meantime, Ill call some of the internet Mitsu part dealers and see if anyone can get the clip.

Enjoy your visit to HB, Im ~40 mi down the coast from you in Oceanside.[/b]
Back in Spain (thank God) Mitsubishi Motors official part no for clip is MR410469.
Regards
Brian

·
Registered
149 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ragpicker @ Apr 4 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Back in Spain (thank God) Mitsubishi Motors official part no for clip is MR410469.
Regards
Brian[/b]
Thanks Brian. I found the part with the help of your PN. Ive ordered 2 more clips! THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Does anyone know if this problem is just related to the Shogun or does it affect other models? If so could someone explain what diffs are affected and how to identify. Might be good to post as a sticky which may help the cause to gain compenstation from Mitsi.

jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its just the 4work van & i am waiting for a second hand diff from the brakers as mine went tata with no oil & trying to find out what sort of job it is to fit one.I have got the modified clips ready to fit before i fit the unit so watch this space & a silly price for a diff when the clips where only £7ish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts