Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a swb automatic diesel 2013 shogun with 36,000 miles, until recently the car has been totally reliable. The car has been off the road for a couple of weeks at the local dealer getting a new steering rack and suspension bushes fitted. It has been delivered back to me with one of the faults reported not rectified. A knocking noise coming off the transmission when you accelerate at over 30 mph or decelerate, the noise is a slight clunk -only there for a split second. The noise only appears when the car has warmed up - after 10 minutes and never when cold. A slight noise but bloody irritating and the dealer is now closed until further notice, a local mechanic has had a look but no luck. I would appreciate any pointers.
Bryan

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
493 Posts
It could be the rear drive shafts moving in the hubs. An easy thing to fix, that i have seen people take hours to diagnose. Remove hub nut, spray lots of wd40 into splines, move shaft in and out til it moves easily, then retighten hub nut

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be the rear drive shafts moving in the hubs. An easy thing to fix, that i have seen people take hours to diagnose. Remove hub nut, spray lots of wd40 into splines, move shaft in and out til it moves easily, then retighten hub nut
Thanks for your help, I will pass it on to the mechanic working on it.
Many of hanks
Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will get the car back tomorrow, you were spot on with the the drive shafts. Once again many thanks even the main dealer could not solve it.
Bryan

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
493 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

(y)(y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/Q
I had the same problem with my 6 year old low mileage Shogun. Just recently started getting this irritating clunk on over-run & accelerating. I followed your instructions - getting the hub nuts loosened was fun as they were really tight - WD40 on the shafts where they come through the hubs & worked them back & forth. Reassembled & did the same on the other side. Just back from a test run & the clunk has disappeared. Brilliant solution so really appreciate the advice. Can I ask though how you came to find this out & what causes the clunk in the first place. In any event great advice thanks.
I have a swb automatic diesel 2013 shogun with 36,000 miles, until recently the car has been totally reliable. The car has been off the road for a couple of weeks at the local dealer getting a new steering rack and suspension bushes fitted. It has been delivered back to me with one of the faults reported not rectified. A knocking noise coming off the transmission when you accelerate at over 30 mph or decelerate, the noise is a slight clunk -only there for a split second. The noise only appears when the car has warmed up - after 10 minutes and never when cold. A slight noise but bloody irritating and the dealer is now closed until further notice, a local mechanic has had a look but no luck. I would appreciate any pointers.
Bryan
I had the same problem with my 6 year old low mileage Shogun. During over-run & accelerating an irritating & worrying clunk from the transmission. I followed your advice - it was fun getting the hub nuts off as they were really tight - WD40 around the drive shafts after removing the hub nut & working the drive shaft back & forth so it was really free. Reassembled & did the other side the same. Just returned from a test drive & the clunk has disappeared & all is back to normal. Brilliant advice & much appreciated as I was beginning to get concerned. Can I ask how you found the solution in the first place & what actually causes the clunk. Anyway great advice & really appreciated. Cheers,
Martin

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
493 Posts
It is a known issue with the Shogun/Pajero cars. I work at a Mitsubishi dealer, and used to see a lot of them with the same concern. Not so many these days, they are likely lubricated at factory

1 - 8 of 8 Posts