Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a SRI for my 02 OZ Rally, it' an AT. I have been looking and have found the Injen SRI for about $190 shipped and the RRM SRI for about $165-170 shipped. I was wondering if either one of these is better than the other, also if there is a better brand than the two I am looking at. Are these pretty good prices or could I expect lower if I look harder. Thanks.

G

·
to be honest with you any ram air intake will be just the same as the other. same with cold air intakes, you can buy the e-bay CAI for $40 and be same. one you get into turbo applications thats when you need the name brand intakes, and really its only for the filter. the e-bay stuff tends to collapse at a certain PSI of boost. but under normal circumstances you are fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WRONG!!! DO NOT BUY CHEAP INTAKES IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE
the computer will reject cheap intakes and will not recognize it cuz of the MAS SENSOR
Injen is heck of a good intake, if you buy a cheap one from ebay, its like throwing your money to the garbage. I recommend the RRM short air ram it gives you very good hp and the MAS adapter is very good and the heat shield too

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmm i think the guy above is wrong, sri is a sri a pipe with a filter if u wanna pay for for a diff color and a stick go ahead. also i think hes talking about the MAF not the MAS. all u really need for a sri on the lancer is a MAF adapter and a cone filter just take out the air box and use the stock rubber pipe guy lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why do you need an SRI for? You hava N/A Automatic? Do you need to clear up spaces on in your bay? Aftermarket Intake tubes tend to trigger CEL for leaks. It will just be a complete waste of money. Unless you have Forced Air Induction, You do not need that. They say it has 3-4 hp gain, you won't feel that all. But if you really want it, INJEN would be great choice. What I mean is the sound...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have to disagree. While it is true that you won't feel the 3-5 whp gain, a good SRI will put cold air into your engine. Now, when we consider the OZ's hood is flat, and that the stock airbox relies on the little scoop that makes use of the gap between front bumper and hood, the SRI won't get insane amounts of cold air coming in.

Injen, RRM, K&N...all are known to make quality products (I personally am torn between the K&N and the RRM.) So really, what you want to do is decide what would work best for you. There are people who simply take the stock airbox off, leave that tiny scoop, jury rig a conical K&N filter into place, and then dub it an "SRI". Is it one? Sure. Does it work as well as the $150-$200 SRI we could buy? Who knows. Considering a stock 02-07 Lancer w/ a 4G94 has ~120BHP, which translates to maybe ~80WHP, every ounce we can squeeze without forced induction is milliseconds of pickup we gain...and in our cars (I drive an '05 OZ A/T) those ms can seem like a lot.

But a good SRI, when combined with a good header and exhaust set up can give us just enough extra power (and reduces the weight of our wallets, since weight reduction is ALWAYS important...) to beat those riced out Hondas (I shudder at the thought of those ****ers beating me...).

So when you do decide (assuming you haven't already since its over 6mo since your first posting...) let me know, I'd be interested to hear what you decided on and how well it works.

·
Registered
168 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ronadinho10 @ Jun 17 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the computer will reject cheap intakes and will not recognize it cuz of the MAS SENSOR
Injen is heck of a good intake, if you buy a cheap one from ebay, its like throwing your money to the garbage. I recommend the RRM short air ram it gives you very good hp and the MAS adapter is very good and the heat shield too[/b]

actually man you're the one that's incorrect here. you use the stock MAF (not MAS) sensor with any short ram or cold air setup.... so i don't understand where you get the idea that the computer would "reject" it just because you add tubing and a filter, unless you buy an aftermarket MAF (which i am STILL looking for but can't find). Like some other dude said, the only difference between an ebay kit and a K&N or Injen or RRM kit is the filter quality. and possibly the elbows in the tubing, but that's minor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteelEvo @ Jan 8 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
actually man you're the one that's incorrect here. you use the stock MAF (not MAS) sensor with any short ram or cold air setup.... so i don't understand where you get the idea that the computer would "reject" it just because you add tubing and a filter, unless you buy an aftermarket MAF (which i am STILL looking for but can't find). Like some other dude said, the only difference between an ebay kit and a K&N or Injen or RRM kit is the filter quality. and possibly the elbows in the tubing, but that's minor.[/b]
i have to disagree/agree with you. if that makes sense. one doesn't always use the stock MAF sensor with any short ram or cold air setup. sure, if you don't have this you will be getting horrible gas mileage and its not very good, but you don't HAVE to have it. the car will still run, just not efficiently, at all. and i got a cheap intake from jdm, which i thought was a pretty respectable brand name. i got it, they said it came with a filter, it didn't. they said it would fit perfectly, it didn't. i had to make my own support bar, and shove something underneath the filter itself(foam noodle used for floating in the swimming pool, yeaaaaa), so the rubber gromet would not tear again, yes....again. it works, but would definitely be better off with buying a k and n and not have to deal with all the frustration.

·
Registered
168 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hindesketchup @ Jan 17 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i have to disagree/agree with you. if that makes sense. one doesn't always use the stock MAF sensor with any short ram or cold air setup. sure, if you don't have this you will be getting horrible gas mileage and its not very good, but you don't HAVE to have it. the car will still run, just not efficiently, at all. and i got a cheap intake from jdm, which i thought was a pretty respectable brand name. i got it, they said it came with a filter, it didn't. they said it would fit perfectly, it didn't. i had to make my own support bar, and shove something underneath the filter itself(foam noodle used for floating in the swimming pool, yeaaaaa), so the rubber gromet would not tear again, yes....again. it works, but would definitely be better off with buying a k and n and not have to deal with all the frustration.[/b]

i'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at here. It does not matter what brand you get, the MAF won't be affected. Again, it's the filter.

And I do know the car will run without the MAF. Try it yourself, open the hood, unplug the thing, and then start it up. It runs like crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ronadinho10 @ Jun 17 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Injen is heck of a good intake, if you buy a cheap one from ebay, its like throwing your money to the garbage. I recommend the RRM short air ram it gives you very good hp and the MAS adapter is very good and the heat shield too[/b]
I agree!!! If anything is worth doing, its worth doing right. I just bought an Injen RD series CAI for my 05 OZ Rally
and everything was direct fit bolt on, also if you buy a cheap intake 9 times outta 10 it is not smog legal and to me thats important, i live in cali and here emissions are freakin crazy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lilgoob5043 @ Apr 16 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The only real difference in intakes is the filter and maybe the piping shape. Otherwise they all do the same thing.[/b]
This is true, they all do the same thing, but some do it more efficiently than others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts