Mitsubishi Forums banner

Smartphone Link Display Audio Problems

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  adriankumar1200 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently got my hands on a Smartphone Link Display Audio head unit from a relative. It was originally in a 2020+ ASX, but I have now have fit it into my 2017 ES CJ because I was looking to FINALLY have CarPlay. I was able to connect everything fine but i've run into two problems:

1. The stock USB port located near the cigarette lighter port doesn't seem to want to read my phone at all. The head unit doesn't register it and just produces the error "Please connect a supported device" when trying to access the CarPlay app.

2. The bluetooth microphone isn't connecting to the head unit. Upon start-up, it produces the error "The microphone is not configured correctly, please contact your dealer".

For the first problem, i've made sure the USB 8-pin connector (grey) is secured in the back of the head unit so that isn't the problem. It may be a case of the stock USB port isn't able to parse CarPlay data to the headunit, but I honestly couldn't find out anything from other forum posts and documentation from Mitsubishi.

For the second problem, I assumed the bluetooth microphone wires run through the 18-pin or 20-pin connectors (white) but I guess it isn't working correctly for whatever reason. I tested the microphone on a call, and as expected it didn't work at all.

I want to try and avoid having to get a new USB port and bluetooth microphone as I want to keep the car as stock as possible for a cleaner look.

This is my first time replacing a head unit in a car so i'm extremely new to this whole concept and was just hoping this was a plug-and-play considering the ports look the same but unfortunately, that doesn't look like the case.

The two head units are shown below:
Automotive design Audio equipment Auto part Technology Gear shift

(The stock display audio headunit)

Musical instrument Audio equipment Font Wood Communication Device

(The Smartphone Link Display Audio headunit)

The steering wheel media controls still work and the reversing camera works completely fine as well, but I really only got the new headunit in for CarPlay functionality :/

Anyone who has experience with this kind of thing or especially with the smartphone link display audio head unit, please help!

See less See more
#2 ·
The USB ports connect to the 2 black connectors at the bottom in the second photo. You will need to purchase the harness from mitsubishi.

And you will need to rewire the microphone, so will need diagrams for your car and donor car to work out which goes where.

it is not a simple plug and play thing

#3 ·
Ah, ok I see. So I just need to contact mitsubishi to get the USB harness.

For the wiring diagrams, I'm sure i'll be able to find the old stock headunit's wiring diagram since it's widespread but should I contact JVCKENWOOD or Mitsubishi for the new headunit's wiring diagram?

Thanks for helping.

#5 ·
Ah, ok I see. So I just need to contact mitsubishi to get the USB harness. For the wiring diagrams, I'm sure i'll be able to find the old stock headunit's wiring diagram since it's widespread but should I contact JVCKENWOOD or Mitsubishi for the new headunit's wiring diagram? Thanks for helping.
Hey mate. just wondering if you got any luck with getting the microphone working on it? I’m facing the exact same issue. For the USB, I got the harness from the donor car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.