Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm experiencing intermittent and irritating high pitched squeaks coming from the front passenger side of my 1.6 Space Star Mirage. It also creaks in Right hand turns. It sounds as if it's coming from the suspension, rather than the wheel itself.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any ideas what it could be?

Ta everyone, and hello from a new member!

Ross

·
Registered
22 Posts
:00000732: To the site.
I know what you're talking about with the noises i tend to get them when the ground is wet and when raining but it can happen any time really.
i've had mine fully checked and they can't find any reason why it happens so if you find something let me know.
i've had my space star for about 2 and a half years now and it keeps making the noises occasionally bt has passed all mots and services etc.

Helen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Helen,

I've had my Space Star now for 3 years and had the first squeak from the back wheels quite soon after, took it to a garage who couldn't find anything wrong. it went away soon afterwards. This time it's really back with a vengance on the front and also possibly (It's hard to tell actually!) from the back too, and I don't think I can face another journey from Southampton to Nottingham with that noise! I'm going to take a look at it this weekend but I'm no mechanic so I'm not holding out much hope! I will let you know if I find anything!

:liebe011:

Bye!

·
Registered
4 Posts
look in this part of the forum under 'suspension rebuild' - I bet your plastic bushes have worn on your shock absorber assembly and the metal-to metal contact is the noise you can hear.

My 2002 space star mirage 1.6 had exactly the same fault - I've detailed how to fix it on that 'suspension rebuild' post.

Barry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Barry,

I had a look at your suspension rebuild post, I think you are probably right. It does seem like a frequent problem with the Space Star, which is a shame because it lets down an otherwise mechanically sound vehicle in my experience!

I had a look at it this weekend and lubricated everything I could see to lubricate under the passangers side front wheel, and I'm pleased to report that the squeaking has stopped :grin: , though the creaking remains :unsure: . How long this temporary solution will last for is another matter though! I'm not confident to replace the bushes myself, but at least I can point a garage in the right direction now, unlike last time when they didn't seem to want to know!

Thanks for your help!

Ross

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know what i'm going to be doing this weekend then!! well maybe not me!! i hope it does fix the problem as having had it for over 2 years it would be lovely to do a journey with no noise but the radio lol.

Helen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ross, and others - glad to be of help on this one.

The plastic suspension bush does seem a little 'flimsy' to me and really is annoying when the knocking gets bad.

If I recall rightly you may even see some evidence of the problem from below the car when looking up at the shock assembly where it goes through into the engine compartment - wear will be apparent, probably in the form of plastic 'bits' or shiny metal (where rubbing has occured).

Hope you get the job done at a resonable cost.

Cheers - Barry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm happy to report that My space star squeaks and creaks no more.
I took it to a local garage (MOT Express in Southampton) who had a look and told me it was the top mount of the suspension that was squeaking, and a hole had begun to be worn in it.
The parts they fitted were:
Insulator MR316528
Front Suspension Spring MR369118 (Not the big suspension coil apparently!)
Front Suspension Strut MR316535

The parts came to £50.37 and they charged me for an hours labour.

And the squeak, grind and clunk have gone!! :grin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts