Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i jux bought my 90 galant gsx a week ago and for the past couple of days the car wont start at all. i tried bump starting it. i did a static voltage test and static discharge test and the battery was bad so i replaced that. and it still wudnt start so i tested the battery cables and they were bad and i replaced those 2. and it still wunt start. evry time i put the key in the on position i get a check engine light, oil change light, abs light, and seatbelt lite. im thnkn it cud b the starter or starter wire. cuz im not gettin a thng when i try 2 start it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
try jumping power directly to the starter from the battery. if it cranks it may be the starter solenoid or relay if it doesnt you got a toasty starter

G

·
On lots of manual tranny starting issues on these models are due to starter inhibit switch . Its located on the clutch pedal bracket and will onlee engage the starter relay when the clutch pedal is pressed. Some the switch was bad and others the rubber tab on the top of the pedal that pushes in the switch falls off or breaks , so there is nothing depressing teh switch when yu press the clutch pedal.

At teh starter there is a small solenoid engagment wire , yu should be able to depress the tab and pull it off. With a continuity tester , have sumone depress the clutch pedal and hold the ignition key in the start position as yu test the lead with the continuity tester. If it lights up there is an issue with the starter. If it does not light up , check teh starter fuse and then look under the das where the clutch pedal bracket is , there will be 2 switched , one is a cruise control inhibit (if yu have cruise) and the upper on will be the starter inhibit switch. check that teh rubber tabs are on the clutch pedal , most cases the rubber tabs fall or break off and dont depress the switch , thus then check the switch if the tabs are in place.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I never had any electrical problems on my 92 Galant, but i know with the Eclipses of the same time would light up quite a few dash lights when the alternator was dying. Since you got a new battery and it still wont start, it doesnt sound like your alternator is the immediate problem, but if you get your car running and the lights on the dash stay lit, the alternator might be something to check out.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
I still say the diagnostic tree i put out is , well worth trying , hes bound to find the issue that way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts