Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,can any-one help me with this one. Steering wheel has started to make strange noise when turned at slow speed.Is it anything i can fix or is it a trip to the mechanic. Thanks in advance for any help. Model and year are..galant VRG GDI 1997.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
The steering noise is inside the car? , just to get things corect. It ciuld be a couple of things , the back sheild insulator after time , sumtimes expands and rubs on the column covers a little making the noise apparent at slow turns. If its more of a hinge or creaking sound, then it can be the air back clock spring cam ,which when its rotating the cover plastic and the chord thats internal of it has dried up so the inner chord of it makes a noise as it rubs along the inner cover . Possibly i can narrow down more suppied a little more info, is it loud, low , lke metal scraping or clicking etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by KiT TeUnG 2549@May 25 2008, 05:08 AM
The steering noise is inside the car? , just to get things corect. It ciuld be a couple of things , the back sheild insulator after time , sumtimes expands and rubs on the column covers a little making the noise apparent at slow turns.  If its more of a hinge or creaking sound, then it can be the air back clock spring cam ,which when its rotating the cover plastic and the chord thats internal of it has dried up so the inner chord of it makes a noise as it rubs along the inner cover . Possibly i can narrow down more suppied a little more info, is it loud, low , lke metal scraping or clicking etc.
[snapback]167593[/snapback]​
Hey-thanks for that-it is more of a rubbing sound,hard to describe really.If its any of the above whats the quick fix and approx cost,any-one had this repaired? Whats involved?

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
well if its any one of the finishing cover , like the column cover grasp it with yur hand and see if is is a little loose or moves a little , try repositioning it and checking the securing screws that are under the upper porion of the steeing colum that hold the column covers on. Being where the steering column height adjuster is located on most of these models in the slot in the lower portion of the lower steering column cover after time of pulling on the adjuster over yeard sumtimes cause the cover to move a little causing it to get close enough in tolerance to rub againts the backing of the steering wheel back cover. Hopefully its that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts