Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across a problem with a noisy timing chain? It seems to give out an unnerving ticking sound when idling but disappears when 1200 revs are reached. It could be something else but the mechanic that looked/listened to it today thought it was the chain needed tensioning. Any helpful thoughts welcome but will probably have to take it to a Mitsubishi garage as my usual garage/mechanic does not have the specialized tools to change the chain if needed. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 MQ Triton
157 Posts
It sounds like it could be your balance shaft drive has wear on it. If its in warranty get a dealer to fix. if its outside warranty they still might help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It sounds like it could be your balance shaft drive has wear on it. If its in warranty get a dealer to fix. if its outside warranty they still might help.
Thanks DibbyDibbyDJ, much appreciated for confirmation, warranty has run out unfortunately. Since posting this question I've come across several posts on other sites that suggest the same problem. It seems as if it's a inherent problem with these particular engines where the balance assembly joint wears down and causes the noise. I can't seem to get just the 'joints' in the UK with my initial search but will pursue a little longer before going to the local Mitsubishi garage..... I believe it can be an extortionate cost as they insist on replacing most of the engine, lol. On Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMfZlywmunnS6VZ_yVgEjkA there is a guy (Ole Ivar Hagen) who describes the simple process of replacing the joints which seems to be the way to go if the parts can be sourced. Does anyone know of a place to purchase just the joints? even if it's from outside the UK. Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 MQ Triton
157 Posts
the coupling joint wear when it makes the noise, and this in turn wears the balance shaft on one side, and the drive gear on the other side.

the kit they talk of consists of new balance shaft assembly, new coupling, drive gear assembly , crankshaft drive gear and timing case cover.

Just replacing the joint is not appropriate.

Here in Australia, the dealer i work at has done 6 in five years.. all under warranty, with most of them outside the warranty as goodwill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the coupling joint wear when it makes the noise, and this in turn wears the balance shaft on one side, and the drive gear on the other side.

the kit they talk of consists of new balance shaft assembly, new coupling, drive gear assembly , crankshaft drive gear and timing case cover.

Just replacing the joint is not appropriate.

Here in Australia, the dealer i work at has done 6 in five years.. all under warranty, with most of them outside the warranty as goodwill
DibbyDibbyDJ. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just replaced the balance shaft link (£43 from Japan) thought I'd try this before anything else. I think I caught it in it's early stage of wear as all the gears either side of the shaft looked fine with no missing teeth and no noticeable wear to the housings. Up to now the engine sounds fine and have taken it for a short spin and all looks ok at the moment. I will update if anything untowards happens. Thanks to all that have put information and input concerning this problem, I wouldn't have been able to this without your advise etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just replaced the balance shaft link (£43 from Japan) thought I'd try this before anything else. I think I caught it in it's early stage of wear as all the gears either side of the shaft looked fine with no missing teeth and no noticeable wear to the housings. Up to now the engine sounds fine and have taken it for a short spin and all looks ok at the moment. I will update if anything untowards happens. Thanks to all that have put information and input concerning this problem, I wouldn't have been able to this without your advise etc.
I have same issue with my outlander, Mechanic I took it to seems to think it's the tensioner noise, did you do this yourself or had a mechanic do it for you ? Thanks

·
Registered
2018 MQ Triton
157 Posts
If its a Diesel with the 4n14 engine then its the balance shaft drive...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, it is the 4N14 diesel, will this cause any further damage to the engine if I continue to drive or does it need to be repaired immediately ? it seems to drive ok with the only noticeable issue being the engine noise when idle

·
Registered
2018 MQ Triton
157 Posts
I have not heard of one totally failing. If it did, i would imagine it to be catastropic.

However for the amount of noise coming from the unit, when you look at the wear, it is a small amount, less than 0.5mm worn away. The only concern is fragments of metal peeling off and getting into the oil pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2014 outlander. Took it in at 120,000 km last year when it was hardly noticeable and the car was still under a 2nd hand car warranty. They brushed me offsaying it was noithing but they could investigate further at my own expense if I wished.
Since then it has got much worse and I am at 155,000kms. They have now had a look at it and say parts alone are $2,800 and $7,000 guestimate all up!!! They say they will not approach Mitsubishi to help without a full detailed service history . I am in Newcastle Australia. I have heard of people on other blogs having a lot of trouble getting this covered by Mitsubishi. Any Ideas ? What should my approach be? Thanks Peter

·
Registered
2018 MQ Triton
157 Posts
As long as you have full service history ( and that does not mean dealer servicing ) then there is no reason you shouldnt get goodwill help. Do you have any paperwork from the visit at 120000? that would be good if you did have.

·
Registered
Outlander 2011 2.2 DiD 177hp
1 Posts
Hi there, have you taken a look at the Facebook group “Mitsubishi 4N14 problems”? The problem with the balance set is perfectly described and three solutions are offered, depending on the degree of the damages: removing the coupling piece, replacing it or changing the whole kit, which is the most expensive. Apparently, even if the balance assembly is totally removed, the vehicle is still totally capable of performing without a big increase on the level of vibrations and noise (my wife has not even noticed, someone said). Best of lucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 Outlander diesel, 141,000km with perfect service history and this horrid balance shaft issue. It’s that loud I have parked it up. So far, Mitsubishi Australia have said no to me twice that they will not assist with goodwill, even though there is a technical service bulletin on this particular problem. I have emailed customer service again. Fingers crossed they reconsider. I don’t understand how they can help some out of warranty and not others. Makes no sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts