Mitsubishi Forums banner

Stuck Transmission Lock

25K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Red_Outlander 
#1 ·
Hi All -

Just a little heads up. This morning I jumped into my 2007 Outlander (Aussie Spec with the CVT) and I couldn't move the gear selector out of park.

After doing all the usual checks (checked fuses, are brake lights working etc) I gave up and called RACQ (our local roadside assistance guys).

Between us, we discovered that by holding the 'Hold Gear' button, we could get it to release.

Contacted Mitsubishi about it - it is a 'known problem' and they are seeing a lot of it lately - so many in fact that they do not have replacement parts in Adelaide and there is a backlog of orders. I will be waiting 8 weeks.

The good news it that the vehicle is still drivable - just every time you want to get out of park, you have to hold the release button.

Hopefully the heads up will help one/some of you out if you experience the same problem.

#2 ·
Originally posted by Chris76@Feb 22 2008, 05:54 PM
Hi All -

Just a little heads up. This morning I jumped into my 2007 Outlander (Aussie Spec with the CVT) and I couldn't move the gear selector out of park.

After doing all the usual checks (checked fuses, are brake lights working etc) I gave up and called RACQ (our local roadside assistance guys).

Between us, we discovered that by holding the 'Hold Gear' button, we could get it to release.

Contacted Mitsubishi about it - it is a 'known problem' and they are seeing a lot of it lately - so many in fact that they do not have replacement parts in Adelaide and there is a backlog of orders. I will be waiting 8 weeks.

The good news it that the vehicle is still drivable - just every time you want to get out of park, you have to hold the release button.

Hopefully the heads up will help one/some of you out if you experience the same problem.
[snapback]144220[/snapback]​
Yup, happened to me a few mornings ago. After about 5 mins of mucking around with the car I realised when you depress the hold shift button it would move from P.

So are you saying I should send the car back to the dealer or just call them up and book in a service?

#4 ·
Originally posted by Chris76@Feb 22 2008, 04:54 PM
[snapback]144220[/snapback]​
Our Outlander is less than a year old and we also started experiencing the same problem about a month ago. Took me a while to discover that holding the small button for a while releases the gear lever.

Now we have to press it nearly every time we jump in the car. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it, but a Google search brought me here. Thanks for posting that!

So, now it's off to the dealer while the car is still under warranty.

#5 ·
I am so glad I read this thread!

My 2007 Outlander has been doing this constantly for nearly a week.

The car was at the dealer all day Friday and they said they lubricated something and it was fixed, but it is now worse than ever.

I have given the car to them now and said I don't want it back until it is fixed - hopefully it isn't going to be 6-8 weeks.

I am also a bit happier to learn that it is a common problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.