Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am new to the forums and seeking advise. I dont know if this has been answered before but i tried the search for anything like it and nothing has came up. When i accelerate it studders/chokes violently and it wont move. I have to barly put on the gas and it will slowly accelerate choking while doing it. I has gotten really bad and it is accelerating slower and slower. This problem stops at like 4rpm+ but when i floor it when it is like 1/2 of the power for a little while then speed up..... It didnt uset to do this. It also studders while idleing really bad and almost seems like its going to die. Does anyone know any leads on whats wrong? Ive replaced several things and nothing has helped.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
if you haven't replaced these yet then do this

spark plugs and wires
fuel filter

if that doesn't work check out your fuel pump
injectors

its obviously a fuel/spark (combustion) problem, so go with those type of parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly enough ive replaced all of that besides the fuel pump... But im pretty sure thats not the problem... Ill get it checked out but you guys have any other sugestions?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a valve cover gasket leak around my plugs that fouled them bad and caused severe misfire. Wife thought the wheel was falling off, $35 later back on the road. Just check the plugs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mitsus are notorious oil eaters especially the 24 valves.

If your missing as G said check the gasket and spark plug seals and also it doesn't hurt to check th valve seals as well.

since i bought the v6 i changed both head pan gasket all the spark ply seals and the pcv hose....and i'm good on oil now.

G

·
Low fuel pressure can cause this issue, its terriblly hard to check it on these vehicles tho. When teh fuel pressure or pump is on its last days its not supplying enough fuel spray to give the needed power yu need to accelerate. As would be the reason it dos seem to do sumthing on light acceleration, when yu give it a generous amount of gas the needed fuel pressure for max fuel spray is not available

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this same problem. But it only started to happen after I replaced the distributer because the coil went bad, and i guess you have to replace the whole thing because they built them in. I thought it was my timing so I did my timing. Now question there are three notches which one are you supposed to go off of? I went off of the top notch and got it down to 6degrees. It idles fine but if i try to gun it when i am below 35mph it just keeps studdering like it wants to die on me. It didn't studder until I timed it out, well let me take that back. It would only studder in the mornings when it was cold and it was pretty rare. I have replaced the plugs the cap the rotter and the distributor, I have not done the wires or the fuel filter. But this just started happing and if i leave it in neutral and gun it, it doesn't hesitate one little bit. Could it be a tranny problem? Thanx for the help in advanced. I will tell you guys if i get the problem fixed.

G

·
Can yu clarify a little bit. I am kinda with yu but i think a little off on teh issue. It may be the timing is , well hard to say , it could be advance a little out of range, so when yu gun it and the computer advances teh timing it goes to far advance and out of range in certain load conditions , like low speed to passing conditions. Also spark plug wire can play a big factor of coldness and heated conditions , giving enough spark when there is a slow /low rpm) and steady conditions but not transfer the spark at snap instances.. One big key is fuel and spark , if yu havent replaced teh fuel filter since yu have had the car or a year period i would change it anyway. But those are things to check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FIXED. I was talking to my buddy and he said a way to determine if the car is missfireing is to but the car into reverse put your your left foot on the brake and your other on the gas and to make sure that the car does actually back up but you can her it reven to move. And sure enough it was. So i took out the distributor and replaced it with another one and bam! :banana: Problem no more. :banana:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts