Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K so I've got an 03 Lancer OZ. I had the rear driver side wheel bearing replaced. Ever since then it's made a clicking and sometimes clunk noise when I go over quick bumps. It was light, almost unnoticeable at first, but now It worse. Removed everything from trunk, and drove around. Still does it.

I lifted the rear up (jacked, not ramps) and noticed the rear sway bar bolts were almost touching the shock. But there didn't look to be any wear on either. Checked the other supports, nothing seemed out of the usual. But then again I'm not 100% sure of what to look for. I was just generally looking for sighs of rubbing or hitting. The bolts at the top of the strut towers seemed tight (what lb should those be too anyway?). No idea where it is coming from.

Any Ideas anyone? Thanks.

G

·
Originally posted by bammerman@Apr 18 2008, 12:03 AM
K so I've got an 03 Lancer OZ. I had the rear driver side wheel bearing replaced. Ever since then it's made a clicking and sometimes clunk noise when I go over quick bumps. It was light, almost unnoticeable at first, but now It worse. Removed everything from trunk, and drove around. Still does it.

I lifted the rear up (jacked, not ramps) and noticed the rear sway bar bolts were almost touching the shock. But there didn't look to be any wear on either. Checked the other supports, nothing seemed out of the usual. But then again I'm not 100% sure of what to look for. I was just generally looking for sighs of rubbing or hitting. The bolts at the top of the strut towers seemed tight (what lb should those be too anyway?). No idea where it is coming from.

Any Ideas anyone? Thanks.
[snapback]157876[/snapback]​
who replaced your wheel bearing? did they hand pack the bearings, or use a bearing packing machine? if they hand packed them, they probably didn't do it properly, if it was done by a machine they could have also done it incorrectly or possibly not pre washed the bearings before packing the grease in them. some people make this mistake and straight pack them from the box package. when they have been sitting on a shelf they collect dust.

packing them directly with grease sometimes collects the dust together and then balls it up turning the dust into a muddy grease clod. it them starts to cause damage, and before you know it your bearings fall apart in your hub and your wheel starts to wobble and comes off your car at 80 mph. i would take your bearings out of that wheel again and clean them with grease solvent, or you can always use gasoline and a toothbrush.

check for dents and wear marks if they have that you had a piece of dirt, dust, or sand already in your bearing when they wear packed. if you go to clean them and there is very little grease in them the bearings were just packed incorrectly. after cleaning them check to make sure the bearings still roll easily without having excessive noise coming from them. then repack them and put them in. if there is a problem with the bearings when you check them replace them and hand pack them your self.

packing bearings is easy, but it is a long process and people get impatient. you take a scoop of grease in one hand and with the other hand you force the grease into the bearings using a scooping motion until you see grease coming out on the other side of the bearings. you do this all around the bearing until you see grease all around the top end and bottom end of the roller bearings. then you repeat for the other one. it takes about 20-25 minutes to get them done correctly which is why people seem to get impatient. a bearing packing machine takes like 2 minutes, but people forget that a lot of the time, you have to pack standing up top first, then the bottom. then run grease around the outside for proper lubrication. some people pack it top side up and then put them in. this can result in faulty lubrication, due to air pockets in the grease tube when you pack the bearings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had Les Schwab do it (never again will I go to them). They said that they replaced it with a whole new bearing. At first I thought it was the bearing, but I get no noise or wobble when I lift the car and try and move the wheel back and forth. Do you still think it's the bearing?

Side note, my sister backed into my car a few days ago! Nice scuff on front passenger side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
could be ur cv axil or a common reason for this is your exaust tubing is resting on your rear susp making a clink or klunk when u hit bumps ive seen that quite often

·
Registered
24 Posts
oops forgot it was the rear, and on the drivers side..... bearings are usually self sealed and come packed now days. it still may be ur exaust tubeing look at the other side. is ur rear shocks in good shape? the sway bars are close to it but unless there bent they will clear each other mabey ur too soft or short and tires are rubbing. hows the ware. do u have alot of cup ware? well good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Car: 03 Lancer es. 5 speed maunal.

oh u guys are awesome, i have the same problem. i know for a fact my exhaust tube is on the rocker arm. like just chillin on it. The weld broke loose from back of the aftermarket exhaust tip to my actual pipe. but n e who i hear clicking when i go in reverse. plus the front of my car clinks and clanks when i hit the slightest bump, hole, or street reflector. I go downtown where we have bricks that make up some of the streets. oh buddy, its like, clankclankclankclank times 100. haha. plus i know my rear shocks are bad. used to rally in a dirt field with my buddies alot. E-brake action like crazy lol. I dont anymore though in fear my car is gonna fall apart lol. n e ways i'm looking at 400 dollars for the back 2. I'll do it myself though. that is, when i get the money. i'm broke right now. lol :whistling: :auto:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it all figured out. Man, I don't I'll ever go to a Les Schwab if I can help it.

When they put the rear driver strut on they went washer washer bushing. Rather then washer bushing washer. Thanks guys!
Finally discovered that when replacing both rear struts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
what's up people ,, i'm having the same problem i think but in a different area .. i recently lowerd my car by cutting the stock springs and ever since then i been hearing a thumbing noise coming from the front passenger side . I took it in and i got a wheel alignment and i also balance my wheeels , ended up buying two front tired cuz they were like lopsided , but even when i got the car back i still hear it .. the faster i go the faster the thumbing goes and i hear it in all streets and all speeds ,, i'm thinking i need new bushings cuz mine seem old and cracked , but i'm getting different responses , what do you guys think it could be ? please help that noise is annoying !

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
how did u cut the springs?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I lowered my 2003 Lancer OZ just a hair with some Megan Racing lowering springs. It sat low enough that it required me to cut about half of the front strut boots off. Although you don't want to cut too much off or you'll bottom out the strut and that's an expensive ouch.

It could be that, Lancer02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts