Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Originally posted by lesb310761@Jan 4 2008, 12:12 PM
anybody know if a suspension strut can be rebuilt and if upper bearings can be replaced
[snapback]132174[/snapback]​
Is the strut blown? If so, that's a negative. The upper bearings? Do you mean bushings?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a bangin noise from f/l when hit a bump or so, spoke to garage advised to change lower ball joint and wishbone arm have done that still baning from same area,was told top of suspension strut bearings/or bush worn...the spring and shocker still in good order,the suspension is still solid not bouncy.ive been to scrap yards and priced suspension legs on other cars at abt £35 and yet tho i can soucre the unit on ebay they want in exess of £100 pp so im l;ooking to rebiuld if costable,what do you think.....thanks for any advise you can offer

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Is the junkyard an option in your area? Is it the strut mount or upper bushings?

I don't know what your price in US currency is, but a strut mount would be around 60-70 bucks, and the bushings would be about 10-15 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi - I've experience of this on my 2002 space star Mirage 1600cc so I hope I can help!

It's an easy job that needs only a spring compressor and normal handtools/socket set.

The knackered bit is a small round plastic bearing/bush that goes between the suspension damper and its mounting onto the car body. It seems a poor design to me as it wears and allows to metal parts to rub/bump together causing the noise to be heard - especially when you drive over speed bumps.

This is a well known problem - when I went to get the parts my mitsi dealer (Exeter) said:
'normal well known problem - we always keep the bits here to fix that' and true to their word they did have the bits on stock!

You need to remove the roadwheel and then remove the complete shock absorber assembly complete then strip it down on the bench ONCE the spring has had it's compression removed.
The components are then removed in order and you'll easily see the knackered bit.
I replaced the plastic bearing/bush (whatever the hell it is!) and also the mounting (called an insulator strangely) and also the Top suspension mounting plus it's nut - all as a matter of course (I'm an electrical engineer and would rather do a proper job the first time).
Parts cost me £40 per side including the dreaded vat - NOTE: you may be able to replace just the plastic bit and the Top suspension mounting if the damage on the insulator isn't too bad, thus reducing cost.

PS -Never be afraid of asking for a discount on parts, no ones said no to me yet!

Once the bits are all back as they should be release the spring back into its normal position and refit whole assembly to car.

whole thing both sides done in 2 hours easy

Hope this all helps and ain't too boring or me too sad !!!!

good luck!!

baz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts