Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-keeping in mind i'm a mechanical retard.....how easy is it to remove the steering wheel from a 97 vrg gdi, keeping in mind the air bags(disconect?) etc? Any "how too's" greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
im in most respects i am thinking yu are refering to the 96.5 to 2004 model. First disconnect the battery. Most MODEL 1 steering wheel airbag modules (air bag/horn top) are depressible snapped in. To remove yu grip on each side and apply enough to remove but not to yank it out , once its budged pull up a little to see where the air back wire chord plugs in at the inside base of the steering wheel to the airbag clock spring module. Unplug it and set it sumwhere safe outside the vehicle face up. Then there is the steering wheel nut, remove that and then a steering wheel puller is needed to remove the steering wheel.This is most likelly the steering wheel yu have.

MODEL 2 and 4 ,5 ( VR4(model 4 onlee) RALLIART ,INVECS II, SUPER INVECS II Steering wheel)
On the sides of the steering wheel are removeble convers ,small ones. After poping the small covers off of the steering wheel sides , 2 Torx bit screws are accessible to remove on each side. They retain teh air bag and horn pad. After removing the screws pull up gentelly on the air bag and horn pad assembly and unplug the air bag wire first and then the shift control wire and horn wire afterward at the multifunction clock spring module. remove the steering nut clip , then the steering wheel retainer bolt. Then a steeering wheel puller is used to remove the steering wheel frum the steering shaft. Ill try to get a picture of removal when i go back to the shop.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Disconnect the battery and wait 30 minutes.

Do a quick search and you should be able to find a walk through on an eclipse which will be similar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts