Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Diamante ES

TCL and ABS light come on when started. Sometimes at startup the TCL blinks and other times it is on. TCL light blinks after driving for a little while.

Took to shop that has scanner that supports early Mitsubishi models. The scan only returned two codes:

• P1101 TCL Vacuum solenoid
  • P1102 TCL ventilation solenoid

I reset codes and they returned.

I checked both solenoids. Both hold vacuum with no voltage. Both release vacuum when battery voltage applied, you can hear the click when voltage applied. Both have around 12 Ohms with no wires attached.

So, both solenoids appear to be working due to vacuum and voltage test.

What can be causing the lights to be on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it your TCL or TCL OFF light which is displaying? And I believe the vacuum control solenoid valves actually work in reverse, the vacuum one opens with voltage whereas the ventilation closes and the ventilation one has a very constricted hole, they also should be around 36-44 ohms in resistance, unless the 2002 differs that much in components compared to the 2003 which I highly doubt. But yeah if those parts are good and everything else checks out this actually may be the cause of your issue --> https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/TSB-02-13-002.pdf . I have a 2003 with the issue you're describing except that it is the TCL OFF light popping on and no ABS light issues as far as I can tell. I would like you to confirm if you're having an issue with the TCL or TCL OFF light because in the service bulletin they reference the TCL, not the TCL OFF. Anyways let me know if you can and good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it your TCL or TCL OFF light which is displaying? And I believe the vacuum control solenoid valves actually work in reverse, the vacuum one opens with voltage whereas the ventilation closes and the ventilation one has a very constricted hole, they also should be around 36-44 ohms in resistance, unless the 2002 differs that much in components compared to the 2003 which I highly doubt. But yeah if those parts are good and everything else checks out this actually may be the cause of your issue --> https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/TSB-02-13-002.pdf . I have a 2003 with the issue you're describing except that it is the TCL OFF light popping on and no ABS light issues as far as I can tell. I would like you to confirm if you're having an issue with the TCL or TCL OFF light because in the service bulletin they reference the TCL, not the TCL OFF. Anyways let me know if you can and good luck.
View attachment 18238
Thank you for the response. It is the TCL Off light

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have the ABS light on but as I mentioned I do have the TCL OFF light. What I did finally was disconnect the TCL-ECU, now no more traction control or traction control lights, no other light has popped on either since I've done that. I did that since the local auto electrical pros want a few hundred just to try to install some kind of noise filter at the distributor harness as described in the TSB, and since there's no specs on the original part they would probably have to go through some trial and error. Mitsubishi dealership service said they're not sure of a way to disable TCL but they might just be bullshitting to have people give up on these issues and buy new cars or just not knowledgeable on the matter. Either way it looks like TCL is disabled for me which I'd rather have than a malfunctioning TCL supposedly due to ignition signal interference in the wiring harness which makes the system pop up with p1101 and p1102 which disabled the TCL.
Let me know if you try to disconnect your TCL-ECU, its behind the radio, and your ABS light goes away, I have a feeling if your codes are only p1101 and p1102 it just might along with the TCL lights. You may have to reset your codes by disconnecting battery for more than 10 seconds or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the following post on another forum. I have not been able to find the manual procedure to reset without a scan.

Both ABS & TCL systems are linked (i.e. they work in tandem with each other).

After replacing ABS components, you must follow the "Fault Code (DTC) Erasure procedure" to reset the ABS & TCL computers.

Disconnecting the battery does not reset the ABS/TCL computer.

A suitable ABS scan tool may do this, but there is also a procedure written in the service manual to do this manually without a scan tool (involves turning key to ON and depressing brake pedal a few times, in the correct sequence).​

·
Registered
5 Posts
I regret to inform you that that original part is not actually available anywhere, the Mitsubishi parts microsites all pull from the save inventory as far as I know and they just have not updated their listings to reflect they're out of stock and the part is discontinued. Let me know if you find otherwise. I believe the ABS still works without TCL however, my ABS light comes on and goes off as normal upon starting. ABS has its own ABS-ECU and I believe it's connected closer to the engine in schematics and receives information first which it shares with TCL, I don't believe it relies on TCL to operate. I doubt this differed from 2002 to 2003. In the Complete_Magna_TJ_Manual it says disconnecting the battery resets the codes, I'd need to confirm with another mut 2 scan about this resetting the codes in a Diamante.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe if the TCL-ECU is disconnected and there is a general inability to communicate with it the only thing that's disabled is the TCL and and an mut 2 scan would come up with the condition listed as "Communication with TCL-ECU only is not possible". I've also looked at all the terminals in the connector to the TCL-ECU and it looks like it's all input from the aforementioned ABS system, wheel speed sensors, etc, and it's own functions, the other systems do not seem to rely on any output from the TCL in normal driving with TCL is disabled, or disconnected. I would say if this is the case it is probably safer to disable it since sometimes the TCL OFF goes on in the middle of driving, for me anyways.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts