Mitsubishi Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last month i saved a L300 from an iraqi junk yard. looked like most everything was there but the water pump. talked to my brother in the U.S. who works as an auto mechanic and knows quite a bit about mitsu's. after looking at the vin and other numbers on the van it was decided that it had the same motor as a galant and the parts should work. (MY:1990, 4G63 sohc 2.0L)

then the parts arrived. the motors are not the same, just pretty close. while the pump fit wonderfully on the block it would need a bit of modification to interface with the cooling/heating system. out with the hacksaw and hand file. after a bit of time with the saw and lots and lots and lots of time with the file, i was able to mock-up some -24 alum tube to the pump. clearing the alt and power steering brackets proved to be quite a time killer: file, test fit; file, test fit.

as i have very little practice with welding, a buddy welded the tubing onto the pump which fit wonderfully onto the engine, clearing both the alt and ps brackets. i was now able to attach the rad hose to the water pump. some thought was given to deleting the heating system. i decieded it would be nice to have heat when it gets colder as well as the extra cooling that comes with having the heating system operational (roll down the windows and blast the heat) if it's needed.

-10 alum tubing matched the coolant tube running under the exhaust header. saw and file time again. after some hand cramps from filing a bung was welded onto the pump. the coolant tube was shortened and a B-nut installed. running a steel hose from the tube to the pump. water pump, alt and ps brackets, radiator and its hoses were mocked-up. everything fits :banana:

now to remove it all and put it back togeather with a new pump gasket. then reinstall the t-belt. anyone know where the timming mark on the camshaft gear should line up to?

look for pics soon, happy motoring.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by tomthedog@Apr 12 2008, 05:52 AM
after looking at the vin and other numbers on the van it was decided that it had the same motor as a galant and the parts should work. (MY:1990, 4G63 sohc 2.0L)
sounds like you guys didnt realise the galant engine is east-west placement (fwd) where as the L300 is north-south (rwd)... and most likely parts are slightly different due to fitting in the different engine bays.

some of the mitsu starion (chrysler conquest) use the 4g63 in rwd mode so if your can get your hands on some starion parts they might bolt straight on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[attachmentid=6216][attachmentid=6217][attachmentid=6218]it lives!

as i stood there trying to find the timming mark for the cam gear (by flashlight), pondering the wonderfull ideas which some engineers put into production, a nice gentelman stopped by to see what i was doing. turns out he had worked on several mitsu's himself and quickly pointed out the timming mark at the 9 o'clock position which was cast into the head.

setting the t-belt untill all the timming marks continued to line up took along time. new plugs, hooked up the plug wires, put some oil in, and it started right up :grin:

we decided not to install the rad or pulleys before the test fire, makes it a lot easyer to spot trouble. of course the water pump was again an issue. the shaft does not stick out far enough to let the pulley clear the alt bracket. need to make some new studs and a spacer to offset the pulley.

next issue: we need a driver's seat!

photos are before/after of engine and the water pump mods front/back side.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.