Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, wondering if anyone has noisy lifters on the '04 galant 4cyl. i have 35,000 miles and it ticks like crazy.
I'm taking it to the dealer next week, but thought i might try here first since, well, dealers are dealers.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old message, but Important; The engine needs 5W-20 viscosity oil. If Spiffy lube or other lube place puts 10W-30 or 40 that could be the problem.

I've got a 93 Mazda pickup. Ten years ago I put 20W-50 Castrol GTX in it and the valves clacked like crazy, had to drain it and go back to 10W-30 (like the manual said).

Hydraulic lifters and variable valve designs need the right viscosity oil.

Are you sure it isn't pre-ignition or pinging at lower RPM in hot weather with the AC on? This is a high compression 4 cylinder, you really should be putting high octane in, 91 or above. I've heard lots of 4 cylinders from Honda and Toyota pinging up a hill because the driver bought cheapest gas.

Seriously though...make sure you use 5W-20 viscosity. Mobil 1 synthetic or even better than that AMSOIL synthetic.

Hope it worked out for you.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
the car only has hydraulic lifters on the exhaust side.
the intakes are manually adjusted.

note that the MIVEC valvetrain is quite noisey normally. thats the primary reason for mitsu to use the heavy gauge aluminum valve cover; to silence the valvetrain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts