Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

I just bought a Mirage 2001. Its done 103 k miles. Here's a couple of things i'm curious about.

1. I'm not sure if the timing belt has been replaced at 60 k by its previous owners. Its got a DAYCO timing belt right now. Is that the timing belt that comes with the mitsubishi or is it possible that it was replaced at 60 k ?

Is there any way to find out if the timing belt has been replaced ?

2. When i accelerate, i hear a slight squealing sound. When i opened up the hood, it appears like it comes somewhere from the timing belt area. I read somewhere that if u hear such a sound while accelerating, its prolly got to do with the alternator belt ? any ideas ?

Thanks in advance !

Kamlesh

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dayco is not the OEM belt so it is a replacement. No way to tell when. Assume 60K miles to be on the safe side. Squealing is most likely the alternator belt. It may need to be tightened or replaced.

·
Registered
34 Posts
See if squealing is worse with heavy electrical load like high beams, defogger, etc. If so, it is the alternator pulley slipping. Another possibility is the water pump pulley or the timing belt tensioner bearing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All, thanks all for your responses, got a fix on the noisy belt. Looks like the AC belt is off by a teeth... I need to have that aligned.

But any idea what the OEM belt is that comes with the Mirage '01 ?

Thanks in advance !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts