Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L Non-turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can someone please tell me if my interference engine Galant has a belt or chain and if belt when it should be changed?

I've googled and the maintenance manual seems to say to replace a timing belt at 105,000 miles Except on the 4b1 engines and I think my engine is a 4b1-2 engine...
So does this mean it has a belt but is changed at a higher mileage or....
Very confusing.

If it has a belt, I suppose a gates kit would be best.

Also am going to change the auto 4 speed transmission fluid and filter. Bought the spin on filter from auto zone and getting Valvoline max life atf is approved for SPiii seems the way to go.

Thank-You for any input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh that’s great, no belts!
thakkx
If you have a US model Galant, you have a 4G69 engine. It does have a timing belt that needs to be changed at (roughly) 100K miles.If the drive belt hasn't been changed, its a good time to change it, too. Also time to change the oil filter and oil, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, clean the throttle body, change the transmission fluid (the transmission filter is only accessable by removing the transmission and taking it apart). I would also run a can of fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank. It is also time to change your coolant if you didn't do it at 60K.
Also a great time to do an overall check of the car! While you are under the car draining the oil, check the CV boots for grease leaks, steering rack boots, other oil leaks from the engine and tranmission, check the lower radiator hose for weak spots, check your break pads for wear and your tires for uneven wear and tire pressure.
On top of the engine, check ALL the fluids, brake fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid. Check the battery and battery cables for a build up of acid. Check battery ternminals for tightness. Make sure your battery is held down tightly. Check your upper radiator hose for weak spots. Check for upper engine oil or coolant leaks.
Check all the lights, headlights - high & low beams, side marker lights front & rear, turn signal lights front & rear, tail lights, brake lights, back-up lights.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It has belts! 105K sounds correct. would not replace trans filter,but have fluid flushed with Mitsubishi fluid Only

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Google seemed to say I had the 4B12..however now I see, some of the Internet says I have 4G69. Other sites say 4G69 was only till 2008..
If it has a belt then there should be plastic shrouding covering the dry belt for easy removal and replacement.
Where a wet oiled chain engine should have a metal cover that is part of the whole.
I’m going to look to see which it has.
Oh I suppose there might be a sticker under the hood that says which engine number it has.
I’ll update

I hope it doesn’t have a stupid belt...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a US model Galant, you have a 4G69 engine. It does have a timing belt that needs to be changed at (roughly) 100K miles.If the drive belt hasn't been changed, its a good time to change it, too. Also time to change the oil filter and oil, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, clean the throttle body, change the transmission fluid (the transmission filter is only accessable by removing the transmission and taking it apart). I would also run a can of fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank. It is also time to change your coolant if you didn't do it at 60K.
Also a great time to do an overall check of the car! While you are under the car draining the oil, check the CV boots for grease leaks, steering rack boots, other oil leaks from the engine and tranmission, check the lower radiator hose for weak spots, check your break pads for wear and your tires for uneven wear and tire pressure.
On top of the engine, check ALL the fluids, brake fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid. Check the battery and battery cables for a build up of acid. Check battery ternminals for tightness. Make sure your battery is held down tightly. Check your upper radiator hose for weak spots. Check for upper engine oil or coolant leaks.
Check all the lights, headlights - high & low beams, side marker lights front & rear, turn signal lights front & rear, tail lights, brake lights, back-up lights.
Thank you for all the info!
Yes, your right, it is the 4G69! The door jam decal says so and the engine has a plastic cover for timing belt access I see.
So I'll change the belt at 100k with a kit that includes a pump and any other related items, tensioner wheels etc.

So what mileage should I change the transmission internal filter instead of just the fluid?

I'm going to use my turkey baster to suck out and change the brake fluid and power steering pump fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, your right, it is the 4G69! The door jam decal says so and the engine has a plastic cover for timing belt access I see.
So I'll change the belt at 100k with a kit that includes a pump and any other related items, tensioner wheels etc.

So what mileage should I change the transmission internal filter instead of just the fluid?

I'm going to use my turkey baster to suck out and change the brake fluid and power steering pump fluid.
PS: Any suggestions for what timing belt kit brand to go for that is quality but won't break the bank too badly?
I was thinking Gates or hmm maybe see what Rockauto recommends.
I've heard of new belts breaking after like 20K.. seems either the quality was bad or the job was done wrong or the other components went out and dragged on the belt causing it to break or slip.

One key I've read is to after installing the belt, rotate the crankshaft by hand wrench 2 revolutions and recheck marks to make sure they are still aligned.
Also the anti vibration counter balance/oil pump shaft is tricky with 2 positions.

ThankX

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ewww I see on the internet someone's belt broke at 95K miles... Geeze is it common for this belt to break before the recommended change?

·
Registered
41 Posts

Have transmission fluid replaced with a flush machine 12qts Mitsubishi sp3. You don't need to replace transmission filter ever cause you have to remove trasmission and disassemble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have transmission fluid replaced with a flush machine 12qts Mitsubishi sp3. You don't need to replace transmission filter ever cause you have to remove trasmission and disassemble.
thankx
I don’t have a flush machine and heard tooo many horror stories of it running the transmission dry or pushing dirt into the valve assembly.
I’m just going to change it a second time and then again in 30k miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts