Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During full acceleration the steering may pull to one side, has this ever happened to anyone of you with your 2008 Lancer?

I want to hear from people with more experience driving this car since I'm new with cars motors and performance, and before taking the car to the dealer for an inspection.

Bye
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Yes it's common. There was a thread here a while ago about this, and quite a few people have had this happen.

The "problem" was described to exist because our vehicles are not equipped with an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) system which causes the torque at the wheels not to be distributed equally which in turn will cause pulling to one side.

It's pulling you to the left right?

Happens to me all the time, especially in 1st and 2nd gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
It's something that all Front Wheel Drive cars will do. But my GTS pulls to the left. I should take it to the dealer to see what it is. In August I experienced a Hit & Run. Some dumb teenage kid backed up into my car, and took off like nothing happened. Anyway, he hit the driver side. He also hit the rim & tire. Ever since then, my car pulls to the left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Originally posted by dyounessi@Dec 21 2007, 08:52 AM
It's something that all Front Wheel Drive cars will do. But my GTS pulls to the left. I should take it to the dealer to see what it is. In August I experienced a Hit & Run. Some dumb teenage kid backed up into my car, and took off like nothing happened. Anyway, he hit the driver side. He also hit the rim & tire. Ever since then, my car pulls to the left.
[snapback]129538[/snapback]​
It's not something all FWD cars will do. That's where the LSD comes in. There are LSD kits for older Lancers out there, I'm sure there will be one for ours eventually - if one decides to spend the money on it, that can be "fixed".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Originally posted by dyounessi@Dec 21 2007, 08:58 AM
How much does this kit cost?
So what do they do, create a differential to distribute power as fit?
[snapback]129541[/snapback]​
The one kit I found is for the 2004-2006 Ralliart. It costs around 1300 dollars for the part. I won't even begin to try to explain how it works because I don't know and I could only speculate about what I think it does. But basically it distributes the torque equally between your wheels so you don't run into situations where one wheel is "spinning" faster than the other.

That's the link to the part (it's by RRM):

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/i...products_id=102

I guess there's also this one for the "regular" Lancers:

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/i...&products_id=32
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
HUH!!!
For 1300 bucks, I don't know man. But I like the idea of it though. I'm coming to the conclusion that the kit is like if you make your car into a 4-Wheel Drive (kind of).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by rox@Dec 21 2007, 10:50 AM
Yes it's common. There was a thread here a while ago about this, and quite a few people have had this happen.

The "problem" was described to exist because our vehicles are not equipped with an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) system which causes the torque at the wheels not to be distributed equally which in turn will cause pulling to one side.

It's pulling you to the left right?

Happens to me all the time, especially in 1st and 2nd gear.
[snapback]129537[/snapback]​

I dont remember if it pulls me to the left, but the first time it scared me, but now I see that it happens to all Lancers, or at least to the people that take them to the limit when accelerating

Now I dont feel safe when doing urban drag anymore :( I feel like I'm going off road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Originally posted by dyounessi@Dec 21 2007, 09:30 AM
HUH!!!
For 1300 bucks, I don't know man. But I like the idea of it though. I'm coming to the conclusion that the kit is like if you make your car into a 4-Wheel Drive (kind of).
[snapback]129551[/snapback]​
No... it's has nothing to do with the back 2 wheels. It's pretty steep price for sure, and I don't even know what type of labor is involved in installing one of these, but probably quote a bit so that would cost even more. But think about the little torque steer there is, if you put a turbo on it or something, you'll get even more, and you'll lose power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Originally posted by Un4given@Dec 21 2007, 09:41 AM
I dont remember if it pulls me to the right, but the first time it scared me, but now I see that it happens to all Lancers, or at least to the people that take them to the limit when accelerating

Now I dont feel safe when doing urban drag anymore :(  I feel like I'm going off road.
[snapback]129559[/snapback]​
You should never feel safe racing on the streets. Unless it's legal and properly set up.
Either way the only way to get around the issue is to really hold on to the steering wheel. Thankfully these days we have power steering so you can oversteer the pull... just really really gotta hold on. It gets a bit harder with the m/t cause you only got on hand to hold the wheel... but still possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Originally posted by Lancer21@Dec 21 2007, 09:49 AM
i think maybe the car was built for cornering instead of drag racing even doe its only fwd and not 4wd.
[snapback]129562[/snapback]​
If you ask me, the car was built for daily driving, with a little extra. But if you want to get into serious racing with this vehicle you need serious upgrades. Or you wait for the Ralliart or even better the Evo X... those will be more proper for racing for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
naw im just saying that because why would mitsubishi put sport tuned suspension on it or is it just to make the car feel better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is manual, and its quite hard to control the steering and stick shift at the same time when the car is pulling you real hard to one side...I would say it could be dangerous for begginers like me, hehe....still I enjoy kicking some Hondas and Nissans butts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Originally posted by Un4given@Dec 21 2007, 10:29 AM
Mine is manual, and its quite hard to control the steering and stick shift at the same time when the car is pulling you real hard to one side...I would say it could be dangerous for begginers like me, hehe....still I enjoy some Hondas and Nissans ****....
[snapback]129574[/snapback]​
Then don't do anything crazy unless you're comfortable with handling the vehicle. If you're a beginner then you shouldn't be drag racing probably.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
**** ROX get to work slacker!!!


but like rox said, lets say you get a turbo in ur lancer your gunna want LSD because you have 80hp more its gunna be that much harder to steer when your on the "gas"

and its rally "inspired" its not a rally car.. but its made for daily driving with a few tight turns!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Our cars definitely need an LSD. Our cars also do not even have active stability control which would help. I get the wheels to spend at almost every light.

If any one is planning to turbo charge this car (which I don't recommend) you had better be planning to install a closed LSD.

I was planning on using a mivec controller at some point to lower the rpm where the power kicks in but I will have to think twice about doing that. The earlier you get torque, the more likely you are to spin a wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way guys, did you know down here in Panama, Central America, we get a Lancer 1.5 liter version? this is optional, mine is the regular one 2.0 L, but the 1.5 looks exactly the same as the regular one it just changes the motor with 105 HP output, the rear view mirrors on the doors are black as well as the handle thing to open the doors. Of course this car is cheaper than the 2.0L
I think it must cosume more fuel that ours since a weaker engine has to move the same weight the 2.0 L moves.

"Merry Xmas and may Santa Claus bring us all a Lancer Evolution X"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Originally posted by Un4given@Dec 22 2007, 09:58 AM
By the way guys, did you know down here in Panama, Central America, we get a Lancer 1.5 liter version? this is optional, mine is the regular one 2.0 L, but the 1.5 looks exactly the same as the regular one it just changes the motor with 105 HP output, the rear view mirrors on the doors are black as well as the handle thing to open the doors. Of course this car is cheaper than the 2.0L
I think it must cosume more fuel that ours since a weaker engine has to move the same weight the 2.0 L moves.

"Merry Xmas and may Santa Claus bring us all a Lancer Evolution X"
[snapback]129763[/snapback]​
naw, its still a smaller engine which will produce better mpg. A loooong time ago I had a 93 civic dx, with a 1.5L. It had a worse power-weight ratio than the lancer but still achieved 45-50mpg. Went 0-60 in about 30 minutes haha
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top