Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an aftermarket trailer hitch on their Endeavor? The Mitsu factory hitches are quite pricey, and there seem to be some good choices from Draw-Tite, Hidden-Hitch, Reece and Curt. If so, did you use a factory or aftermarket wiring harness, and how did that work out?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
do NOT use aftermarket wiring, for sure.
the entire lighting system on the truck is solid state. Aftermarket wiring harnesses just tap into the existing wiring, not taking into account the increased amperage the trailer takes.
Ive had to replace multiple front ecus (they control the lighting) due to this.
the factory harness uses it own power source to run the trailer lights, thereby keeping the factory lights at their proper wattages.

the factory hitch is also higher quality than the aftermarket ones, with twice as many attaching points as the draw-tite (the others I dont know about).

keep in mind you always get what you pay for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed an aftermarket hitch about 2 years ago. I don't recall the brand though, I think draw-tite but not sure. It wasn't a generic one size fits all it was made to fit specifically to the Endeavor. It was an easy installation. Just remove the muffler mount and insert a larger rubber spacer to get below the hitch and then bolt into the existing bolt holes for the hitch. I didn't see any additional holes where it could have bolted so I am not sure how the Mits hitch would be any stronger unless your talking steel grade or thickness or geometry. I also had a brake controller installed. This I can't say how it was done. I showed them the connection in the spare tire area but have never looked at it to see if it was used. I know it is directly wired to the battery but don't know what else. As far as I know all lighting is working as it always has.

·
Registered
499 Posts
best bet if cost is an issue is non-genuine tow bar but use genuine wiring harness.they plug staraight in and saves you loads of agro.scotch lock wiring kits are nothing but trouble with a capital T

·
Registered
5 Posts
had mechanic install the Curt hitch...loosen a few bolts, lower bumper and install...wiring harness plugs in spare tire area and attaches to under rear bumper..took about an hour and glad mechanic did it for me...but well worth it, never had a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts