Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 LS/AWD, bought mid 03. currently 32k miles.
I am now getting the second transfer case replaced, which will be the third one!!! ARRGH! Dont get me wrong, love the Endevor, but.....
Dealer service mgr sent me to Mit. Regional Mgr who finally called, 1st claimed that Mit had problems at factory with completly filling transfer cases, very isolated problem, blah blah blah. When I reminded him that this will be the third unit, and the second was installed by the dealer service dept. and that it is VERY unlikly that they also screwed up, AND I would be sure to call said serv dept to complain loudly about the filling screw up he just described.... He changed his story!
Now says Mit has had problems with original design for transfer case, is even now manufacturing replacments with re-design and to expect a long lead time for replacment! Deal serv dept says mid April before replacment comes in.
Warning: symptom was noise from below, not related to engine speed, kind of a whine sound.
Mfg date = Feb 2003
Anyone else have this problem? Anyone else believe the Mit Rep? Ha!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am quite concern about your particular tranny problem. Could this be an isolated one? Hope it is not common to happen down the road that would perhaps trigger a general recall. Question to u is have you been doing some towing or off-road driving or is this on a day-to-day driving?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys! Good questions rayp51. Answer's: No offroad at all, bought for highway driving (most of the 32k miles)
Have towed three times. 1st time= 800# small sailboat, 2&3rd time = 1500# rated standard U-Haul trailer w/ college kids light stuff. All way below rated capacity, and I have "trailer package" which includes the tranny cooler. Like NDTracer, I bought upgrade trailer package to tow sailboat, just have not had enough vacation time to do it alot (dang).
Most driving is between work locations in KC, St.Louis, Omaha, and Wichita, all highway, set the cruize and listen to the great stereo.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same tranny problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee before this Ende.
I did some towing even way below its spec. still i had my tranny repaired. What happens is that when you are towing tranny had to do a lot of "grinding" between 10 clutch rings to achieve the amount of torque needed. then u get metal particles, according to the transmission guy when u do some towing u should get a manual transmission it is not advisable on automatic.
I think the AWD feature of out Ende is for slippery road surface driving and not for towing. or maybe next time u can use the manual feature maybe u can avoid more tranny problem. good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bricon, I have what I think is the same problem with my 2004.4 Endeavor limited AWD -- a whistle/whine that does not seem to correlate to engine speed or most other likely causes. It sounds like a cage of crickets all chirping at once, a bit like a loose fan belt, and it only occurs over 30 mph or so, deepening a little in tone with higher speed and ultimately getting drowned out by wind noise at high speeds.

My first trip to the dealer had me repair the splash guard under the engine -- the mechanic reasoned that it was a wind-related whistle, and the cracked guard was thought to be the culprit. It wasn't, but it only cost me an $18 part and a dirty shirt to try it. I still go down the road, embarassed at the racket my Endeavor puts out.

I think I have narrowed down the cause, however -- the whine increases in intensity with a lag following application of the throttle. Accelerate hard, and a few seconds later the noise gets louder. Back off, and a few seconds later the noise quiets down some. I think it may be some air injection pump or the fuel pump, responding to prolonged opening of the throttle as it replaces what ever is being sucked into the intake manifold. I am off to the dealer to campaign this theory.

BTW, I don't think it is the transfer case -- that should change immediately upon acceleration vs. engine braking, which it doesn't in my case. And I can hear a much fainter gear noise that does just that -- not great in itself, but probably typical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BTW also, the edmunds.com long term test review noted a similar "irritating high-pitched whine" in their vehicle. We are not alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,

You can add me to the list with the whine. Its definetely over 30 mph not related to motor RPM or necessarily correlated with speed (the tone). If anyone finds a good solution please post it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow,..I think I have finally heard the noise you guys keep talking about, but it was only because I forgot to turn the radio on!!!! :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The noise is most likely from your center driveshaft support bearing. To diagnose this the dealer must put your truck on the lift and have somone run it at the speed the noise occurs at and listen with a mechanics stethoscope. To correct this problem they replace the driveshaft. I have not heard of any trans or transfer case problems.But there is a tsb for the driveshaft noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the information on the driveshaft issue. I know the service dept. talked about that at one time, but decided it was the transfer case.

Time for an update
We FINALLY have the Endevor back (5 weeks waiting for the part) and the 3rd transfer case is installed. Noise is gone (for now) and gas milage is back to normal crappy 17 - 22 mpg area. It was 6 to 7 mpg during noise problem.
We have been hounding Regional Service Rep George "Kouhlman" (847-839-5306) for some kind of extended warranty, paid by Mit. to assure future issues with transfer problems. He finally told us, "no way, there never was a problem with the transfer case(s), they are just normally noisy, and it should not have been covered in warranty in the first place. When we asked why they replaced them, he said "IT WAS JUST TO MAKE US HAPPY!!!" WHAT THE F**K! I'm sorry for the blue language, but I'm so pissed now that I would just as soon drive the fricken car off a cliff and have done with Mitsubishi althogether. I'm sorry I bought the Endeavor, and I'm thinking of getting rid of my 03 Spyder GTS as well.
When George told us they replaced two, count them TWO, transfer cases just to make us happy, I would advise him, IT DIDNT WORK, I AM NOT HAPPY, YOU BLEW YOUR MONEY ON REPLACEMENTS, JERK!
AAARRGH, Its time for the lawyers!
I'll continue later when I calm down some. Thanks to all for the reply's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too noticed the noise that you've all been talking about. I especially noticed it during my trip from Denver to Albuquerque. It would stop when I would slow to 30 or below, and start around 40mph. It didn't whine all of the time either, it would come and go.

I just returned from the Mitsubishi service department. Their mechanics told me that they had narrowed the noise down to the rear differential, and recommended that I have the rear differential fluid replaced with synthetic fluid. They also added a tube of MGC conditioner. From what I overheard the parts guy say, the actually replaced the dif fluid and just added the conditioner (it's a synthetic additive).

After I left and got onto the highway the noise was back, but only for about three minutes and then it stopped. I had some other stops to make and went another 30 miles with no noise.

I will let you know if it comes back, but so far so good. :clap:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I have to admit that I too have the same high frquency whine that you have all described but for me I only hear it first thing in the morning when it's cool. The first 3km's of my journey is a long but jentle uphill climb and it only occurs once I level out, on the way home when the outside temprature is decent approx 22c-30cel I don't hear it at all.

Having said all that I do have one observation I put my vehicle through a touchless car wash a couple of days back and as the dryer passed over the air intake cowling the noise was reproduced! Any same happenings by anyone else?

Vehicle 04 LS AWD

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't hear the noise when my car was cool. It was more noticable after my vehicle warmed up and when the outside temp was 75+.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the transfer case replaced a year and half ago. the noise came back and now i'm pleased with the low groan i have starting at 30 mph. The vehicle hardly wants to accelorate from 30 and the i have a great vibration in the whole car. the only time the groan goes away is when i let off the gas and coast.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
transfer cases do not fail on the endeavor unless drained of fluid.

the 04s suffered from rear differential issues due to incorrectly set pinion depth. Many were mis-diagnosed as transfer case problems. They would rumble and groan, usually starting at 30 MPH. It would change (often disappearing altogether) when decelerating. The noise would transfer up the propshaft giving the appearance of transmission or transfer case issues.
The differentials wouldnt "fail" in that they wont break or leave you stranded. they just make noise.

the trans and transfer cases are incredibly strong. Ive already seen an 04 with 221000 original miles, still going strong. Only normal maintenance was ever done.

some 04s and 05s suffered from a failing front propshaft bearing that sounds a LOT like a squealing drive belt. That noise generally only becomes apparent after 10-20 minutes of driving.

mitsu did NOT have a problem with transfer cases, and Im not sure what fool is telling you they did. There have been no redesigns of the transfer case.
20 to 1 you have a noisey differential.

note one last thing.. Due to the AWD nature of the car, a SLIGHT amount more driveline noise is perceptable. It should be unoffensive, but present.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts