Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped the transmission in my 2004 eclipse spyder gts and apparently it has diff gear ratio then the one it had in it. It shifts thru all gears smooth but keeps throwing into limp mode jamming it into third gear and neutral light blinking after i shut it off itll go back into first and all over again. I got P0733 AND P0734 And with my scan tool I also get r,1,2,3,4 not synchronizeing. Is there some way to reprogram pcm to match gear ratio? Or what can I do?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The ECU is expecting and is programmed for (x) MPH, with (y) RPM at (z) engine load, with (n) % throttle opening with (u) gear selected

That will be the reason it is not happy. You might be able to get away with matching ECU from engine for that transmission, but it is likely the engine will be different, so it would be unlikely to work.

I recently fitted at replacement used motor to an outlander sport, same engine size, same family (4b11) and similar year, but trans was jerking at cruise speeds. Turned out the Engine internals were changed for that model year, and ECU had different tune. Wiring was different slightly, so only way around was to remove and return the engine for one with exactly same Model year. Ran perfectly after.

I think you need to be fitting The same type of trans that came out. Otherwise you could be spending more money chasing your tail around trying to fix different problems

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

1. The ECU is expecting and is programmed for (x) MPH, with (y) RPM at (z) engine load, with (n) % throttle opening with (u) gear selected

That will be the reason it is not happy. You might be able to get away with matching ECU from engine for that transmission, but it is likely the engine will be different, so it would be unlikely to work.

I recently fitted at replacement used motor to an outlander sport, same engine size, same family (4b11) and similar year, but trans was jerking at cruise speeds. Turned out the Engine internals were changed for that model year, and ECU had different tune. Wiring was different slightly, so only way around was to remove and return the engine for one with exactly same Model year. Ran perfectly after.

I think you need to be fitting The same type of trans that came out. Otherwise you could be spending more money chasing your tail around trying to fix different problems
    I think all the engines are the same but 3 diff transmission gear ratios.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

1. I think all the engines are the same but 3 diff transmission gear ratios.
So seeing all engines are the same can i get the ecu that goes with the transmission or can mitsubishi program the ecu to learn the new gear ratio? Its gotta be easier then buying another used
transmission and putting it in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That is part of the problem. We thought the engines were the same, and the car came back with terrible jerking. dealers dont have the facilities to reprogram ECU. They can program new ones, but not ones that have already been programmed.

if you got the matching ECU for the gearbox and engine that MAY work, but I have no way of knowing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is part of the problem. We thought the engines were the same, and the car came back with terrible jerking. dealers dont have the facilities to reprogram ECU. They can program new ones, but not ones that have already been programmed.

if you got the matching ECU for the gearbox and engine that MAY work, but I have no way of knowing
They can program new ones? Does that mean I can get a new one and have it programmed or my only option is getting a gts transmission from same model and doing it all over?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would be getting the right trans in the first place.

Finding a new ECU would be hard. And then getting the dealer to put different program in it would be very hard, because if it goes wrong, the ECU would be a paperweight, and they wouldnt want to bear the cost of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be getting the right trans in the first place.

Finding a new ECU would be hard. And then getting the dealer to put different program in it would be very hard, because if it goes wrong, the ECU would be a paperweight, and they wouldnt want to bear the cost of it.
I just got ecu from car i got transmission from it cranks but won't start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts