Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im having a problem with my 1.8 mirage its automatic now when i turn it on in stays staedy for about 10 seconds then it idles very rough and sputters . when i drive it does not have full power . after about 15 minutes of driving the check engine light comes on. ne body have ne ideas please help

·
Registered
182 Posts
Since the CEL light came on it likely has set a code. You need to go to a place like Autozone and get the code read for you assuming your car is OBD II (1996 or newer). Post back the code and perhaps someone can direct you further.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since the MIL (malfunction indicator light) comes on after you drive for sometime, i suggest you check your AFS ( Air Flow Sensor ) connector. Make sure the connector will fit and the contact is in good condition. Another item to notice is VSS ( Vehicle Speed Sensor ). Sometimes, the MIL will lit up after driving for certain distance. For rough Idling, the AFS is usually to be blame. Not the sensor itself is faulty, but the poor contact. This is just a guide, to be more precise, try to retrieve the MIL code.

See how long the "CHECK ENGINE" flash. 2sec flash = 10 , 1sec = 1

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
dfb is correct.if you have an eml(engine management light)on then there should be a fault code stored in the ecu memory.the purpose of these fault codes is to aid in diagnosis so get it read before you do any needless work or repairs.if you can post the code/codes you get then perphaps we can help you further.
and on a lighter note isn't it amazing how many different words there are in this trade for the exact same thing:
EML-engine management light
CEL-check engine light
MIL-malfunction indicator light

I prefer a more general term for all the instrumentation warning light which is **** LIGHTS because generally by the time they come on to warn you about a problem it is too late!!! eg. oil, water temp,alt
just my little bit of useless info for you all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i had a mechanic who is a friend of mine check it out and we came up with a spark issue the cylinder closest to the camshaft wich i beleive is cylinder 1 in the 95 mirage 1.8 isnt getting full spark you can barely hear the click when you pull the plug wire outslightly but all the other cylinders get magnificent spark any ideas i already got a distributor new wires and new plugs rotor and cap. please help? also my fuel pump is still from the 1.5 4g15 engine shall i get the 1.8 pump or do they have the same specs

·
Registered
182 Posts
Something is wrong here. With all you replaced there shouldn't be a weak spark on one cylinder. Test it again holding the plug wire near a ground. If you get a nice fat spark, swap out #1 plug to another cylinder and see if the problem moves. If you don't get a fat spark, swap the old wire back and see if that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ok i spent 500dollars at the mechanic and he got it running but one problem is my 95 mirage uses a egr valve attached to the intake manifold and my cylinder head does not have the port for the egr valve to attach to will my car be ok if i drive it without the egr valve it rides fine but it just worries me if it will damage the engine in the long run. any ideas?

·
Registered
182 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem if it runs OK. The purpose of the EGR valve is to lower combustion chamber temperatures to reduce NOX emissions. If they test for that at inspection where you live you may fail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also i put a automatic tranny from a 1.8 dodge colt with a 4g93 engine 1993
into my 95 mirage with 95 mirage tranny ecu and when im drivin the car only shifts 3 0r 3 times and ill get to 60mph and it seems held back and when i let go of the gas it feels like ii downshifted to 2nd out of drive and the car slows down dramatically fast. does this mean the tranny is not compatible and should i get one from a 95mirage 1.8. are they interchangeable or no

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by troubledrican@Oct 4 2006, 09:01 PM
Also i put a automatic tranny from a 1.8 dodge colt with a 4g93 engine 1993
into my 95 mirage with 95 mirage tranny ecu and when im drivin the car only shifts 3 0r 3 times and  ill get to 60mph and it seems held back and when i let go of the gas it feels like ii downshifted to 2nd out of drive and the car slows down dramatically fast. does this mean  the tranny is not compatible and should i get one from a 95mirage 1.8. are they interchangeable or no
[snapback]69717[/snapback]​
I am thinking about try to do the opposite.. put a Mirage tranny in a Expo (Colt)
I am interested to know more about your experience with this swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts