Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Canada .... lot a bad weather.

So last time I wanted to check my tire pressure : the metal cap was litterally glued to the valve .... loosening product ... plier .... nothing could remove the cap...finally I used a Vise-Grip and broke the valve . I checked the other tire , eughhh the valve was already broken ....sh...tttttttt

Visited my dealer , at first refused to change them under warranty until he admits that it is a mistake to install metal cap .... argument over their responsability.... they say OK ...they replaced two valves with the sensor , value $150 cdn each...

I am happy now with my plastic caps , Mitsu changed to plastic cap painted alu color for 2007...

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good thing you stuck to your gunz...thats a lotta money for caps(ea) Its like its coming out of their own pocket or something!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having metal valve cap is not the problem, having metal valve cap that is of a different material from the valve stem is a problem.

Doing a search like valve cap + stuck in Google, you will quickly find that incompatible materials coupled with road salt and weather conditions result in electrolysis effect between the valve stem and the valve cap, and thus result in 'fusion' between the two.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Originally posted by outlander411@Mar 29 2007, 08:21 PM
I live in Canada .... lot a bad weather.

So last time I wanted to check my tire pressure : the metal cap was litterally glued to the valve .... loosening product ... plier .... nothing could remove the cap...finally I used a Vise-Grip and broke the valve . I checked the other tire , eughhh the valve was already broken ....sh...tttttttt

Visited my dealer , at first  refused to change them under warranty until he admits that it is a mistake to install metal cap .... argument over their responsability.... they say OK ...they replaced two valves with the sensor , value $150 cdn each...

I am happy now with my plastic caps , Mitsu changed to plastic cap painted alu color for 2007...
[snapback]90778[/snapback]​
Honda had recalls on all their TPMS vehicles for 2006 and earlier. It required throwing out the metal caps and installing plastic ones.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I made the mistake of putting metal valve caps on a car once,went to check tyre pressures not long after and found them completly stuck,nothing would shift them.Took the car to tyre fitter and he told me he sees alot of it happen,said that i should run a bit of grease on the threads before i put them on and to not tighten them as tight possible but leave them a little slack. instead i just gave up on metal valve caps,plastic ones work fine and never seem to cause any bother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts