Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I check which CV is making clicking noises? Usually makes a clicking noise while full lock left, however has started to make noises when full lock right. I did put a new CV right side shaft 12 months ago.

BTW, its a 2004 TL wagon

·
Super Moderator
2004 TL Magna(aka Diamante) AWD, 6g75 engine, F5A51 automatic trans.
243 Posts
How can I check which CV is making clicking noises? Usually makes a clicking noise while full lock left, however has started to make noises when full lock right. I did put a new CV right side shaft 12 months ago.

BTW, its a 2004 TL wagon
CV JOINT NOISE – WHAT CAUSES IT AND HOW TO FIX IT
[.....]

HOW TO TELL WHICH CV JOINT IS BAD
When driving your car and you happen to hear a popping or clicking sound, then this is a sign of bad CV joint symptoms. You need to listen to where the sound is coming from when you turn. If you turn to the right and you hear the clicking sound, then it’s likely that your left CV joint is damaged. If you turn to the left and you hear the clicking sound, most likely your right CV joint is damaged.
[.....]

·
Super Moderator
2004 TL Magna(aka Diamante) AWD, 6g75 engine, F5A51 automatic trans.
243 Posts
Of course, a ripped CV boot leaking grease is normally the most apparent symptom pointing to potential problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are usually two CV's on a drive shaft, inner and outer.

I used to change just the outer when it was noisy but I have changed the whole drive shaft on the last one I fixed, it was not much more expensive and a LOT simpler (Nissan Micra)
The inner was also clickey if you rocked the wheel with the car in gear.
Changing the outer means splitting the CV off the end of the drive shaft, swapping the whole driveshart is easier.

Your mileage may vary but if the CV boots are damaged (inner or outer) the CV is probably ruined.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to videos above it's quiet likely the 12 month old shaft on the right is making noise.

On a side note, I noticed at a U Pull it wreckers some Magnas have a weight on the left side shaft, out of interest what is it for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts