Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear a noise almost like a belt whining or a wheel screaming at me once im over 25 mph... im not much of a mechanic,,, just know my electrical stuff, but could it be a belt or a bearing in my front right wheel??

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
a "belt whining" type sound that occurs usually after driving about 10-15 minutes is due to a failing propshaft bearing.

Ill bet you have an all wheel drive endeavor, from 04 or early 05, correct? and the noise only appears after you've driven a while?

if so, you will need to have the entire propshaft replaced. its more than likely still under warranty. If you give me your V.I.N., I can tell you for sure.
but dont give me the number if you're nervous about the internet, as it will divulge to me your address, and car specs.

having said that, im not a serial killer, nor stalker.. so you dont have to worry about me (im a mitsu mechanic of 15 years).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe mine does the same thing but it's more of a high pitched whistle, and I haven't noticed any performance issues. How could I be sure of this as it is quite the hassle to have warranty work done since i am currently stationed in Germany. Mine is an XLS AWD manu date of OCT 03.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. I took it in to have it serviced, and they just tightened the belt. I got it home, and then had to run a few errands and it started doing it again! What can I tell them to make sure it gets fixed this time? I have an 04 LS AWD.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Originally posted by MitzytheMitzu@Jun 16 2006, 09:11 AM
Mine is doing the same thing. I took it in to have it serviced, and they just tightened the belt. I got it home, and then had to run a few errands and it started doing it again! What can I tell them to make sure it gets fixed this time? I have an 04 LS AWD.
[snapback]56847[/snapback]​
tell them what ive already said twice. you have failing propshaft bearings (a known problem), and it usually only acts up after 10-15 minutes of driving.
better yet, send me a P.M with your email, and ill send you a PDF with the infomation about it. about 2-3 pages down is a small description of what to look for. Mitsu already has this information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I told my dealer about the propeler shaft they replaced the entire drive shaft 2-times from the transfer case to the rear diff and the noise is still there. I also have that whining starts about 45mph the dealer and the Mitsu rep are stumped and I'm out of the lemon law time frame

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Originally posted by MITZA@Jun 18 2006, 07:55 AM
I told my dealer about the propeler shaft they replaced the entire drive shaft 2-times from the transfer case to the rear diff and the noise is still there. I also have that whining starts about 45mph the dealer and the Mitsu rep are stumped and I'm out of the lemon law time frame
[snapback]57012[/snapback]​
a whining noise is NOT the same as a whistle that occurs only after a bit of driving.

all AWD cars regardless of manufacturer produce some normal gear whine. chances are what you're experiencing is the normal geartrain noise of an AWD endeavor (which they all produce at a very low level).

·
Registered
7 Posts
True but mine is LOUD I have a AWD stealth and a Eclipse and nothing like this my dealer ordered me a new rear Diff I will let you know the outcome. Theres a new TSB and a test the dealers are to perform. I guess mine failed and a new Diff was ordered. I will keep you posted after its installed. It never made this whine until 14K miles and I'm the original owner.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
some of the early 04s did have excessive rear differential noise, caused by an incorrect pinion depth setting.
although its not harmful, it certainly is annoying... sounds like theyre on the ball replacing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this thread is pretty old, but I've got an 04 Endeavor AWD that is making this noise, at least as you all describe it. It only starts over about 45 mph, sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment, and seems to oscillate as if it were a belt slipping and then slowly catching up again. I'm sure it's the prop shaft bearing you're describing, and I took it to a dealer last fall at 59000 miles. It made the noise for 3 hours from Grand Junction to Denver, CO, I dropped it off, the mechanic said he couldn't hear anything, sent me on my way, and it made the noise the whole way home again. Of course now, I'm at 65000 miles and my powertrain warranty has expired. Do I have any recourse on this? Other dealer in Denver now says it's $744 to do the repair, out of warranty. Help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts