Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have an 04 Endeavor - just bought it used. Noticed a whining/roaring noise while traveling at speeds above 30 mph. The noise usually kicks in around 30-40mph and continues consistently while accelerating. Then, when decelerating the noise goes along with the deceleration cutting out at around 25-30 mph. I have been to two different Mitsubishi dealers. The first told me that it was a normal noise (which frankly, insulted my intelligence). The second replaced the rear differential carrier assembly unit - only to find the noise still there. I took it back in and they said they lubricated the wiping surfaces on the carrier bearings. Noise is still there. I am taking it in again in the morning. While I am driving, the noise sounds like it is coming from the right front of the vehicle. I have found 3 bulletins that closely describe what I have been dealing with. One is the rear differential - which they replaced. The others have to do with the Axle Assembly and the Automatic Transmission (whistle noise from propeller shaft). I have taken it to some other auto shops - and have had a few mechanics tell me it is a bad right front carrier bearing. It is still under warranty - so I am back at the dealer. I told them what a mechanic told me about the carrier bearing being bad - and they said they didn't agree. Frustrating!!!

Can you give me any feedback? Oh - and ironically, when I took my vehicle in - there was another 04 Endeavor with the same problem. They replaced the rear differential and the vehicle was back in because the noise was still there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I see no one has any feedback. Though, I am amazed by all the people who posted on here that have had the same problem. Update - I took all three bulletins that I found online into my dealer. One of the bulletins they had already tried on my car - the one that replaces the rear differential. So, they tried the bulletin asking to replace the propeller shaft. The vehicle has not made the noise since I picked it up. So far so good. I will post again if the noise comes back - but I am hoping this works.

So, if you are an 04 Endeavor owner with this noise problem - tell your dealer service dept about the following bulletin. I describe the noise as a whining/roaring noise - but howling is also a good description. It kind of sounds similar to a plane coming in for a landing (just not as loud!).

TSB No: 108
NHTSA No: 10013677
TSB Date: 8/1/04
Component: Power Train: Automatic Transmission
Summary: Whistle noise from the propeller shaft.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by mitsuproblems@Apr 5 2008, 01:56 PM
Well, I see no one has any feedback.  Though, I am amazed by all the people who posted on here that have had the same problem.  Update - I took all three bulletins that I found online into my dealer.  One of the bulletins they had already tried on my car - the one that replaces the rear differential.  So, they tried the bulletin asking to replace the propeller shaft.  The vehicle has not made the noise since I picked it up.  So far so good.  I will post again if the noise comes back - but I am hoping this works. 

So, if you are an 04 Endeavor owner with this noise problem - tell your dealer service dept about the following bulletin.  I describe the noise as a whining/roaring noise - but howling is also a good description.  It kind of sounds similar to a plane coming in for a landing (just not as loud!).

TSB No:  108
NHTSA No:  10013677
TSB Date:  8/1/04
Component:  Power Train: Automatic Transmission
Summary:  Whistle noise from the propeller shaft.
[snapback]154449[/snapback]​
I had that noise - started replacing things as you did, but in the end, I just chopped the car in for a new outlander :) There were a few other odd noises on mine as well, and being out of warranty.....I just decided to let it go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does that mean that the dealer has to replace or fix the problem free of charge. I'm the second owner of the Vehicle. your reply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
no it doesnt unless u r still under the warranty...which they will tell u
tsbs only apply under warranty
recalls r for the life of the car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts